Converting monsters from Dragon magazine (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think there should be ways to remove a coated lich's blood. Casting freedom of movement or dispel evil on the poor unfortunate mage, that sort of thing. On the other hand, I think that attacks made on the lich's blood should also damage who it's coating.

Demiurge out.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Good ideas. Probably not dispel evil, though, since these are neutral. What if we say any lethal damage causes it to let go? And if freedom of movement works, so should a grapple check. Revising:

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A lich's blood is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below. Dispel magic or greater dispel magic cast on a lich's blood does 1d6 hp of normal damage per caster level, and antimagic field destroys a lich's blood (on a failed Fort save).

The One that Coats is the Only One You Need (Su): On a successful grapple check against an arcane spellcaster, a lich's blood streams into its victims orifices, coating its nostrils and lungs and making it impossible to breathe (see the DMG for suffocation rules). Each round, the victim must make a DC X Will save or lose its highest level prepared spell or spell slot. When the victim has no remaining spells or spell slots, the lich's blood remains for five more rounds, dealing a negative level each round on a failed save (if the victim is still alive).

Once a lich's blood has coated a spellcaster, the victim may escape by making two successful grapple or Escape Artist checks (as if to escape a pin). A freedom of movement spell cast on the victim also immediately causes the lich's blood to retract. In addition, if the lich's blood takes X hit points of normal damage, it will retract. Any weapon attacks directed at the lich's blood while it is coating a victim deal 1/2 of their damage to the victim instead.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I agree with the grappling as if to escape a pin. I don't think there should be a set amount of lethal damage needed that'll make it automatically let go; it's smart enough to be able to make tactical decisions, after all.

And I think these guys should be evil. They're smart enough to, and their tactics are pretty sadistic.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I agree that they seem evil. Perhaps "usually neutral evil" for the alignment?

As for the other abilities, they look good, although "The One that Coats is the Only One You Need" has to be renamed. ;)

So how does the thing initiate the grapple check? Should we give it a (weak) slam attack and improved grab like many oozes?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Slam + improved grab makes sense. As does NE alignment.

I think "engulf" is a pretty good name for the ability, but it works much differently than the usual engulfing.

Demiurge out.

freyar

Fair enough on alignment. I also like slam + imp grab. Not sure of any particular name for this ability. I agree that engulf works, but I'd prefer something else because there is a standard for engulf. We can add dispel evil to the ways to end the "engulf" ability; if you also want to get rid of the fixed hp damage to drive it off, that's fine.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Slam damage 1d6 like similarly-sized gray ooze? Or downgrade it to 1d4 since it's not the main method of killing prey?

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a lich's blood must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can "engulf".

Maybe "coat" for the "engulf" ability? Or "spell-stealing suffocation"?

freyar

Let's go with 1d4 slam, since it probably shouldn't really even have one. ;)

Let's call it "spell-stealing suffocation." That has such a nice ring to it! ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Should we give it some ability to actually detect arcane magic so it knows on whom to feed?

Also, I think it needs a climb speed. 10 feet like its land speed?

Skills: 35 (7 max ranks)
Hide, Knowledge (arcana), Move Silently, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival?

Racial bonus on Climb (as result of climb speed) and Disguise checks made to impersonate a puddle of blood?

Feats: 2
Stealthy, Track?

Challenge Rating: x

Advancement: x

Lich's blood is x feet in diameter and weighs x pounds.

A lich's blood that does not feed on magic for X days dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads