• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavinRay

Explorer
Now that I think of it, in 3.5e elementals run the gamut of abilities from very weak (elementite swarm) to strong (elemental monoliths) to god-like (archomentals). So an extremely intelligent elemental that grants wishes isn't really out of place. And the elemental weirds also look like feminine humanoids.

Cleon

Legend
That picture doesn't really swing it either way. I have a slight leaning towards Outsider, but I'm not terribly fussed either way.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Err, I guess we should see if demiurge shows up with an opinion. But I am tilting back toward elemental due to the weirds.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Well Spirits attack by hitting opponents with their pseudopods (much like being hit by an immense wave). On any roll of 19 or 20, the Well Spirit begins to “drown” its opponent. A person being drowned can survive for 2-5 melee rounds plus one half of his/her hit die adjustment due to Constitution (This would be a penalty for victims with Constitutions below 7.). Each round, the victim may attempt to save vs. dragon breath at -2 for each round he or she has been drowning. If at any time the adventurer makes his or her saving throw, he or she has broken free and may fight in the next round. However, for the next 3-6 melee rounds, the victim will fight at -3 on his or her “to hit” dice rolls. A person may not fight while being drowned.

I gave 'em slam attacks equivalent to a Huge water elemental. We'll need to figure out our "drown" attack.

The Well Spirit’s special defense is that normal weapons do only half damage, magical weapons do half or full damage (full damage if the attacker makes his saving throw vs. spell at +1 for each “+” of weapon), and electrical attacks do no damage.

Stick with the usual DR 5/- of water elementals?

Fire-based or fire-using attacks do double damage and may reduce the Spirit’s hit dice because of evaporation, thus reducing its attacks, etc. Divide the total hit points by hit dice and round up to find hit points per die. Whenever the Well Spirit loses this many hit points from a fire-based attack, it will lose 1 hit die as far as attacks, damage, etc. are concerned. If a Well Spirit has 6 + 2 hit dice, it cannot lose any more hit dice.

Fire attacks cause negative levels at some damage threshold?

When a Well Spirit is attacked by a cold-based attack, it takes 1 1/2 damage, or double subduing damage (qv). Well Spirits can be subdued, but subduing attacks do only 3/4 of the damage that would otherwise be inflicted. Two exceptions are cold-based attacks, which do double damage when subduing, and fire-based attacks, which cannot subdue. 25% of subduing damage is actual, the rest regenerates at a rate of 2 hp per round. The Well Spirit is subdued when it has lost all of its hit points as a result of subduing damage, or a combination of actual and subduing damage. A subdued Well Spirit will grant wishes. A subdued Well Spirit will remain subdued for 7 - 10 (d4 + 6) days after its subdual. After this time it will only stay with an adventurer if it is given at least 1,000 gp per hit dice of the Spirit, and a well to inhabit. The well must be at least 4 feet in diameter and 50 feet deep. The walls must be lined with stone, and the water must be reasonably clean.

Should we simplify this to regeneration overcome by cold?

freyar

Slams sound good. Drown sounds like an imp grab followed by engulf, never mind the critical-like mechanic.

I think DR 5/- is ok. Immunity to electricity, also.

Negative levels sound right, but I don't know if I like a damage threshhold. I'd say on a critical, but that doesn't work so well for energy attacks (not to mention that elementals are immune to crits). To be honest, the flavor would go just as well with vulnerability.

The problem with regen bypassed by cold is that would seem to negate the whole fire bit above.

Cleon

Legend
Slams sound good. Drown sounds like an imp grab followed by engulf, never mind the critical-like mechanic.

I was thinking of a critical-like mechanic, imagining it forced some "living water" into the target's lungs rather than pulled them into its body à la an Engulf attack. Something like if it scores a critical the target must make a Fort save or immediately begin drowning, but gets a new save at each stage to shake off the effect (e.g. save vs stunned and drowning on round 1, save vs unconscious on round 2, save vs dying on round 3, savs vs dead on round 4), and if they throw if off they are shaken for 3-6 rounds.

I think DR 5/- is ok. Immunity to electricity, also.

I have no objection to that.

Negative levels sound right, but I don't know if I like a damage threshhold. I'd say on a critical, but that doesn't work so well for energy attacks (not to mention that elementals are immune to crits). To be honest, the flavor would go just as well with vulnerability.

How about if it fails its save against a fire attack, it must make a Will save at the same DC or gain a negative level? Actually, since fire can not drop it below 6 HD, maybe the HD it gains from "Treasure-Eating" are only temporary, and can be stripped off by fire damage?

freyar

I think I'd just use regular suffocation/drowning rules, perhaps starting to make Con checks immediately. They can escape with grapple checks or when the well spirit dies, right?

Still thinking about the negative levels...

Shade

Monster Junkie
Actually, since fire can not drop it below 6 HD, maybe the HD it gains from "Treasure-Eating" are only temporary, and can be stripped off by fire damage?

That may be a better approach. :)

I think I'd just use regular suffocation/drowning rules, perhaps starting to make Con checks immediately. They can escape with grapple checks or when the well spirit dies, right?

Agreed.

Here are other drown mechanics...

Drown: The first victim hit by an aballin's pseudopods must make an opposed grapple check with the aballin (the monster's bonus on this check is +11). If the aballin wins this check, it draws the victim into its fluid body. The victim is at risk of drowning (see Water Dangers in the DMG for the risks and effects of drowning). Because the aballin is composed of acid, not water, spells such as water breathing offer no help in surviving the effect of drowning in their fluids.

A trapped victim can attack the aballin or make additional grapple checks to escape its grasp. The character cannot cast spells with a verbal component or use any other item or ability that requires speech. If other characters use edged weapons to attack the aballin while it is holding a victim, those attacks have a 25% chance of hitting the trapped character, and they do no harm to the aballin.

While holding a victim, the aballin continues to attack with its pseudopods, dealing slam damage to other characters.

Drowning Aura (Su): A drowned gives off a 30-foot radius emanation of suffocating drowning, imbuing its surroundings with a watery glint and deadly threat for creatures that breathe. All breathing creatures within 30 feet of a drowned are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe. The drowning aura accelerates teh process of drowning.

The wave moment could also work like a multi-target bull rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads