Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Can we re-use this?

Vulnerability to Water (Ex): Scorched ones are particularly vulnerable to water, and contact with it (such as reaching into a pool or being splashed with a vial or bucket of water) inflicts 2d6 points of damage per strike. Complete immersion (including being caught in the rain or being subjected to a high volume of water, as from the geyser function of a decanter of endless water) inflicts 6d6 points of damage per round.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't think we need extra immunity to mind-reading, do we? Detect thoughts, for example, is already mind-affecting.

Vulnerability to water looks good, though we can think about changing damage values if we want.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good point on the "mind reading" bit. Undead are already immune to mind-affecting, so we're good.

I think those damage values will work, but I'm open to adjustments.

Updated.

2d6 or 3d6 swarm damage?

Cleon

Legend
I don't think we need extra immunity to mind-reading, do we? Detect thoughts, for example, is already mind-affecting.

Vulnerability to water looks good, though we can think about changing damage values if we want.

Well I'll admit I can only think of one mind-reading spells that isn't mind-affecting, telepathic bond, but I fear that lots of examples I don't know about will rear their ugly heads if we didn't specifically exclude mind-reading spells.

Admittedly in the case of telepathic bond it only works on willing participants, but it's more the principle of the thing.

Vulnerability to Water looks good, but I'd cut the damage to half, except for holy water:
Vulnerability to Water (Ex): tymher-haid swarms are particularly vulnerable to water, and contact with it (such as reaching into a pool or being splashed with a vial or bucket of water) inflicts 1d6 points of damage per strike. Complete immersion (including being caught in the rain or being subjected to a high volume of water, as from the geyser function of a decanter of endless water) inflicts 3d6 points of damage per round. Holy water inflicts double this damage (e.g. 2d6 per vial).

Shade

Monster Junkie
I can live with those rare exceptions affecting them (it seems no stranger than their effect on other creatures immune to mind-influencing effects).

I'm fine with the reduced damage on vulnerabilty to water.

Updated.

2d6 or 3d6 swarm damage?

Skills: 12

Feats: 4

Environment: Any?

Cleon

Legend
I can live with those rare exceptions affecting them (it seems no stranger than their effect on other creatures immune to mind-influencing effects).

Oh well, I guess it doesn't make any significant difference. :(

I'm fine with the reduced damage on vulnerabilty to water.

2d6 or 3d6 swarm damage?

2d6 fire damage?

Skills: 12

6 ranks apiece in Listen and Spot?

How about Ability Focus (distraction), Alertness, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes?

Environment: Any?

Any land or underground. You won't encounter many aquatic Tymher-haid swarms!

Shade

Monster Junkie
Any land or underground. You won't encounter many aquatic Tymher-haid swarms!

Only at the moment of impact! :p

The rest looks good.

Updated.

CR 3-4? They are weaker and less deadly than another incorporeal swarm, the 12 HD ephemeral swarm (CR 5).

Cleon

Legend
CR 4, right in the middle

Yes Challenge Rating 4 is about right. Normally I'd think a 9HD incorporeal undead swarm would be CR5, but their vulnerability to water is a significant and easily exploited weakness which merits tipping them down to 4.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes Challenge Rating 4 is about right. Normally I'd think a 9HD incorporeal undead swarm would be CR5, but their vulnerability to water is a significant and easily exploited weakness which merits tipping them down to 4.
Well, assuming the party figures it out! But I agree with CR 4.

EDIT: Wait, why are these Tiny again? They read like Diminutive or even Fine. That would potentially make them a bit tougher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads