Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Is dominate unchanged or reduced to charm person/monster? How's the fast healing going to work when they get to 0 hp (ie, do they just go comatose on the battlefield for an hour unless opponents perform a special vampire coup-de-grace)?

I guess I could still go either way on monster vs template. They're between vampire spawn and vampires to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good questions!

I can't seem to find any information on the real-world inspiration of this creature (it's from the "Monsters of Africa" article that also gave us the chepekwe, dingonek, and ngojama).

Your power level assumption is spot-on, though, as the 1e vampire had 8+3 HD. So I'd be fine with either template or monster.

It's still tough to figure out what happens upon reaching 0 hp, since they lack gaseous form. :erm:

freyar

Well, I guess we get to make stuff up!

First question first: I lean toward template slightly, but Cleon's preference for monster may be stronger. Cleon, how do you feel about this?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's just go the monster route, and add an underbar with notes on modifying the vampire template to make a templated version.

Cleon

Legend
Well, I guess we get to make stuff up!

First question first: I lean toward template slightly, but Cleon's preference for monster may be stronger. Cleon, how do you feel about this?

I'm not seeing any good cause for making them a template, so I'll back base monster. There's nothing in the description to point to any more individuality in these undead than a standard bodak, wight or ghoul.

Let's just go the monster route, and add an underbar with notes on modifying the vampire template to make a templated version.

Sounds fine to me.

We could copy our take on the Netherese Zombie and have the template require a base creature with 6 or more hit dice.

Cleon

Legend
So comparing to vampire template...

SA
Blood drain = unchanged
Children of the night = rat swarms only
Create Spawn = ??
Dominate = unchanged
Energy drain = drop

SQ
Alternate Form = drop
Damage Reduction = unchanged?
Fast Healing = remove the "forced into gaseous form" portion
Gaseous Form = drop
Resistances = unchanged?
Spider Climb = unchanged?
Turn Resistance = unchanged?

Weaknesses
Drop the coffin/stake portions, and give it a special "wear skin" ability to move about in daylight, along with a vulnerability to having its skin destroyed?

Looks good.

I was going to drop the Damage Resistance, and keep the Spider Climb, Cold & Electricity Resistance and Turn Resistance.

Regarding the Fast Healing at 0 hit point problem, I suppose they could "drop dead" for an hour, then spring back to live if the body is not staked/burnt/doused in holy water (or whatever) first.

freyar

If we're doing monster, I don't really see a need for a template underbar, actually.

Cleon's suggestions are pretty good, though I think I'd rather keep DR and drop spider climb. Not a big deal, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads