Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Keep DR--melee undead are fragile.

Drop spider climb.

Don't mind giving it the DR. I wanted to drop it because the original monster has no special weapon-resistance, but 5 points of Damage Reduction doesn't make a great difference.

I'd prefer to keep the spider climb though, to give it at least one exotic form of manoeuvrability. It already lacks the ability to move as a wolf, bat or sinister cloud.

Would anyone object to giving it both?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, likewise, the original didn't have any "exotic" movement types, but I'm ok with keeping both. I just didn't want to drop DR mostly.

Cleon

Legend
I can't seem to find any information on the real-world inspiration of this creature (it's from the "Monsters of Africa" article that also gave us the chepekwe, dingonek, and ngojama).

After investing an undue amount of time in research (alright, I spent a few hours Googling :p) I haven't had much luck finding any solid info on the Tyerkow. It appears to be based on West African folklore, which includes several forms of Vampire-like spirit.

The Asabosam is a man-eating nocturnal jungle spirit that can masquerade as a human, but has iron teeth and iron hooks for feet. It likes to lurk in trees, from which it grabs up victims with its feet, rips out their throat with its teeth to drink their blood and then feasts on their flesh. Once satisfied, it will scatter whatever parts remain around the jungle floor. They'll sometimes toy with their prey like a cat with a mouse.

That doesn't sound much like a Tyerkow, so it must be a different monster.

There are also a variety of "witches" which look like ordinary humans during the day (they're often old crones, but could look like anyone), but take off their skins and fly around at night, often in the form of a fireball or while emitting fire from, ah, various orifices.

There are lots of different versions of this creature, such as the Ashanti's Obayifo, and similar entities appear in Caribbean folklore such as the Ole-Higue or Soucouyant.

My suspicion is that a Tyerkow is some version of the latter kind of spirit,

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

For the attack lines, are we sticking with slams, and require grapple for bite, or do we want to give them bite as a natural attack to differentiate them further?

freyar

I don't really like the idea of a melee bite, especially without requiring a grapple for blood drain. So I guess I'd stick with slams. If we want to differentiate them, I could see claws instead with lowish damage and possibly imp grab.

I still think we need to reduce domination to a charm effect.

freyar

It just seems pretty well spelled out in the original monster (unless, of course, the older-edition vampires also had dominate described as "charm"). It might be a point of differentiation.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure enough..

AD&D Monster Manual said:
If it gazes into a person’s eyes, the
vampire will have the effect of charming, with the victim subtracting 2
from the saving throw versus magic. Charmed persons behave as if they
had been successfully struck with a charm person spell.

Cleon

Legend
I don't really like the idea of a melee bite, especially without requiring a grapple for blood drain. So I guess I'd stick with slams. If we want to differentiate them, I could see claws instead with lowish damage and possibly imp grab.

I still think we need to reduce domination to a charm effect.

Well following the AD&D version would give it a bite attack, since original stats has a quite unambiguous "1 bite or 1 weapon" listed under Number of Attacks.

So, I'm starting to think bite or weapon as a standard attack, bite and weapon as a full attack.

As for the enchanting gaze, I'd just give it a Vampire Spawn's Domination. It says it's the same as a vampire's power, so I see little reason not to take them at their word.

freyar

Following Shade's quote, I agree that the need dominate!

Ah, but the bite drains hp/round, which is much more like a vamp's blood drain than a normal bite attack, and the victim is supposed to be charmed/dominated first. Maybe someone can post if 1e vamps had bites or not? That would convince me one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads