Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nor does the 2e Monstrous Manual version.

I'd say that's enough ammo to give 'em a natural bite attack. We could still require grappling to drain blood if that's the preference. (Simulating a quick chomp vs. holding on and sucking blood).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, let's give them a bite! I'd favor grappling to drain blood, though, or we're even beyond the speed of the greater vampires we did a while back!

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, so bite and manufactured weapon on attack lines? Suggested weapon? Maybe unarmed strikes as well?

This might be one of those rare cases where we can give a monster Improved Grapple other than as a bonus feat.

freyar

Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat with Improved Grapple as a normal feat appeals to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Why IUS as bonus feat? It has no prereqs, so it should qualify.

How about Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, and either Stunning Fist or Deflect Arrows for its third feat?

The stunning would be an effective hunting technique combined with blood drain. :)

Cleon

Legend
Ah, but the bite drains hp/round, which is much more like a vamp's blood drain than a normal bite attack, and the victim is supposed to be charmed/dominated first. Maybe someone can post if 1e vamps had bites or not? That would convince me one way or the other.

If I remember correctly, 1st edition AD&D vampires did not have bite attacks, the Monster Manual specifies they do damage by striking with their hands. Rhere was mention of blood-draining in the 1E MM but no mechanical details, although some latter supplements (e.g. the Ravenloft Von Richten guide) set out rules for it, although that may have been for a variant vampire.

Anyhow, I would like to give them a bite attack with blood-draining a grappled foe, plus either Improved Grab or the Improved Grapple feat, together with "weapon plus bite" when Full-Attacking.

freyar

I think we're agreed on a regular bite with blood drain during a grapple.

I had thought of IUS as a bonus feat just so to give them all something, but Shade's suggested feat list is ok. Then some of them can just use normal weapons if they like, sure.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 6 at 9 ranks
Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot?

Advancement: x

Additionally, taking the skin of a tyerkow and burning it dooms the monster, for it will disintegrate forever at dawn.

Does this work?

Fast Healing (Ex): A tyerkow heals 2 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, it appears to deflate into nothing but its skin, at which point it is helpless. It regains 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 2 hit points per round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads