Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed to all that.

Make the spit a breath weapon (line) or ranged touch attack? I'm thinking the single target bit makes it a ranged touch.

Cleon

Legend
Devil Wyrm
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 7d10+21 (59 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +8 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 b
ites +13 melee (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spit paralyzing acid
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +2, Listen
+4
Feats: Power Attack, Reckless Offense, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Underground [?]
Organization: Solitary, or squirm (2-16)

Challenge Rating: 5?
[?]
Treasure: Standard
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement: 8-12 HD (Large); 13-24 HD (Huge) [?]
Level Adjustment:

Description

Background

COMBAT

Tactics

Spit Paralyzing Acid (Ex): 30 ft. ranged touch (+7 attack modifier, no range increments), damage 3d6 acid plus 2d6 rounds of paralysis (Fortitude DC 16 negates the paralysis). Once a devil wyrm spits acid it must wait 1d4 rounds before it can spit again. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to all that.

Make the spit a breath weapon (line) or ranged touch attack? I'm thinking the single target bit makes it a ranged touch.

Hmm, I was split between a line and a ranged touch and ended up going for line (basically because I was copy & pasting the Ankheg's Acid Spit). Upon reflection, I prefer ranged touch too. I think I'll add it to the draft...

Shade

Monster Junkie
Looking good.

It might be fun to give them split, like some of the polychates.

Organization: Solitary, pair, or hellknot/hellclew (3-8)?

(Apparently, groups of worms can be called "clews", "knots", "wriggles", or "squirms" of the handful of sites I found).

Cleon

Legend
It might be fun to give them split, like some of the polychates.

Rather not, since there's no mention of such in the original.

Organization: Solitary, pair, or hellknot/hellclew (3-8)?

(Apparently, groups of worms can be called "clews", "knots", "wriggles", or "squirms" of the handful of sites I found).

A "knot" is for eels, isn't it?

Not sure I like any of them that much. How about "terror", which is one possible collective noun for demons/devils.

As for the range, I was thinking of allowing for a range above the number encountered in that Dragon adventure.

I would rather not use "pair" in the organisation, since it implies pair-bonding of some sort.

So, how about "Organization: Solitary or terror (2-12)"?

Shade

Monster Junkie
A "knot" is for eels, isn't it?

Not sure I like any of them that much. How about "terror", which is one possible collective noun for demons/devils.

As for the range, I was thinking of allowing for a range above the number encountered in that Dragon adventure.

I would rather not use "pair" in the organisation, since it implies pair-bonding of some sort.

So, how about "Organization: Solitary or terror (2-12)"?

I'm not fond of "terror", but am OK with dropping pair. Freyar's pretty good with names for collectives of critters. Let's see what he suggests.

Remove ads