Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
How about low-light vision & darkvision? I’m not sure on the range on either though.

Isn't that already in the Working Draft?

Goes to check…

It's got 60-foot darkvision but no low-light vision. The original monster had infravision (the AD&D equivalent of darkvision) but there's no mention of good nightvision or ultravision (the AD&D equivalent of low-light vision) so it doesn't really need it.

Still, I would have no great objection to adding low-light vision if Freyar's in favour of it as well. It does seem thematically appropriate to the nibish-riule.

Cleon

Legend
Does it have any senses other than sight when attached to its host?

The original creature's text makes no mention of what senses the Worry-Wart possesses apart from saying it can "look around" with its eyestalks and possesses infravision.

If it lacked a sense "normal creatures" possess like hearing or smell its entry would presumably have said so, but there's nothing about it being deaf or the like.

Cleon

Legend
Maybe the worry-wart could use it own eyes to use the lens slot for itself?

Well in theory it could wear magic items since it is a creature, but wouldn't lenses fall off every time it retracts its eyestalks into its host?

I'd also be reluctant to start mentioning it wearing magic items in the description to avoid the potential of PCs abusing their symbionts to add additional magic item slots.

It might be simpler to assume that a symbiont and its host are considered a single creature for "Magic Items On The Body" purposes.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's finish off Infestation. Con-based DC with the +5 racial bonus is good.
To remove them, I'm kind of thinking a DC 20 Heal check with each attempt doing 5 hp damage might work before the network is established. But after that, it should take magic. Maybe a remove curse spell?

I have to think about the symbiont traits, etc, a bit more. I see what Cleon's saying about being flat-footed, but it's part of the host's body, really, so it shouldn't have an AC penalty if the host isn't surprised even if it is.

Cleon

Legend
Let's finish off Infestation. Con-based DC with the +5 racial bonus is good.

I'll remove those question marks from the Infestation Rough Draft.

To remove them, I'm kind of thinking a DC 20 Heal check with each attempt doing 5 hp damage might work before the network is established.

I'd prefer something a little more substantial such as ability damage since it presumably involves the removal of portions of the host's skin, flesh and the risk of nerve damage. So Con damage and possibly a bit of Dexterity damage.

Also it'd mean repeated attempts won't be trivial to a hard PC with lots of hit points.

But after that, it should take magic. Maybe a remove curse spell?

I don't think it can be considered a "curse" in the D&D supernatural sense. The remove disease spell seems more appropriate, since that "also kills parasites", since they're very difficult to remove I'd add a (high) Caster Level check for it to work.

If we allow remove disease than presumably a heal could be used as well if we ignore that "unwanted symbiont" isn't listed amongst the adverse conditions it can end.

The original description says a complete merger "is irreversible without the use of wish-level magic", which seems a bit extreme but suggests we could say it can automatically be removed with a limited wish, wish, or miracle.

I would think psychic chirurgery and bend reality would definitely be able to remove one as well.

However, another idea I had was simply boring the worry-wart into going away. If the hold applies plasters over all the 'warts' so the creature cannot protrude eyestalks and sense its surroundings then after a while the nibish-riule might eventually get bored and disconnect itself to look for a host that's actually entertaining. 'Course the host will have to ignore its telepathing nagging to be allowed to see what's going on.

Also, couldn't a spell that cuts extradimensional connections sever the link to the nibish-riule and stop the symbiosis. I don't think dimensional anchor would do the trick since it doesn't block extradimensional perception or attack forms or interfere with creatures already in ethereal or astral form, but a spell like dismissal or banishment might do the job by forcing away the portion of the creature that's on this plane inside the host. Maybe have it apply a decently high Will save and/or Hit Dice against banishment/dismissal based on its "whole self" rather than the tiny portion in the symbiont?

I have to think about the symbiont traits, etc, a bit more. I see what Cleon's saying about being flat-footed, but it's part of the host's body, really, so it shouldn't have an AC penalty if the host isn't surprised even if it is.

I guess we could treat the flat-footed question like the symbiont and host are in a two-person Hive mind, with that ability's "If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No [name] in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are" rule.

Remove ads