Converting monsters from Dungeon Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I'll second that agreement on LA. But I definitely support Advancement.

The similar HD vrock advances as follows: 11–14 HD (Large); 15–30 HD (Huge)? This also somewhat mimics giant octopi advancement. Stick with that here?

They have two 6’ long arms ending in hands with sharp claws as well as two 12’ tentacles, much like those of an octopus.

It sounds like we should give them extended reach for the tentacles.

Also, I think we should give them greater teleport (like most demons) and plane shift 1/week in order to return particularly pleasing tributes to their masters.

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Yeah, I'll second that agreement on LA. But I definitely support Advancement.

The similar HD vrock advances as follows: 11–14 HD (Large); 15–30 HD (Huge)? This also somewhat mimics giant octopi advancement. Stick with that here?

That's applicable then.

It sounds like we should give them extended reach for the tentacles.

A normal ocotpus has 20' reach on those 2 tentacles. Tack it on there.

Also, I think we should give them greater teleport (like most demons) and plane shift 1/week in order to return particularly pleasing tributes to their masters.

Agreed or else how would it get back home?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
CR 10 sounds fair. I can see this giving Level 7-9 PCs problems especially with it's summoning ability.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Yeah, let's go CR 10. Its AC is worse than a vrock's is, but it has a higher damage output, especially with constriction and maul.

Shade

Monster Junkie
At the back of the chamber stands a fearsome, six-armed statue of a woman with the torso of a coiled snake. The statue stares across the chamber with cold, serpent-like eyes and holds its threatening poise. In bront of the statue is a long, blood-stained slab.

Statue of Shaktari: INT non-; AL CE; AC -1; MV 18, fly 18 (D), climb 12, burrow 9; HD 21; hp 168; THAC0 -3; #AT 6 arms; DMG 3d6 (x6); SA breath weapon (60’ x 60’ poison cloud once/turn; save or die after 1d4 rounds of helplessness); SD magical weapons needed to hit; edged/pierced weapons inflict half damage; immune to fire, cold, electricity, poison, and paralysis; MR 100%; SZ H (12’ tall); ML 20; XP 48,000; New monster.

Attached to the front of the slab is a pair of steel manacles. When a living creature is placed in the manacles and a special incantation is recited, Shaktari animates the statue and proceeds to tear the hapless victim to shreds. The victim’s life force is devoured, and the statue reverts to its inanimate state. No amount of magic (not even a wish spell) can revive a person slain this way.

The statue also animates if deliberately defiled. (This doesn’t include accidental damage caused by stray missiles or random magical effects.) The statue is not fixed to its platform and can pursue defilers anywhere in Vudra. The statue can also fly, dig through soft earth, and scale sheer surfaces.

Originally appeared in Dungeon Magazine #60 (1996).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Note that Shaktari is "Queen of Mariliths". James Jacobs gave her the following special powers in one of the Demonomicon articles that might be worth using for inspiration...

Additional Arms (Ex): Shaktari has eight arms rather than six, allowing her to make an additional two weapon attacks beyond those most mariliths make.

Aura of Toxin (Su): Most creatures within 120 feet of Shaktari automatically lose any immunity to poison they may possess. Constructs, elementals, and undead are unaffected by Shaktari's aura, as are any creatures she chooses to exclude from the effects. Neutralize poison, delay poison, and any other spell that attempts to prevent a poison effect from taking place do not function within 120 feet of Shaktari.

Poison (Su): Any weapon Shaktari wilds becomes coated in poison--this applies to her tail slap attack as well. Initial and secondary damage from this poison is 3d6 Constitution. The save DC is Constitution-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I think additional arms are a given. Poison weapons, probably, though maybe toned down some. Not sure about the aura of toxin. That might be too much for the statue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads