Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
naw, i want input from you guys. :D mainly, for these decriptions i'm looking for whatever adjectives you all can pull out of your heads.

and yes, time for a description. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
A slavering, furry beast, nearly three feet tall at the shoulders looms before you. It looks somewhat like a hyena, but its powerul jaws lined with razor-sharp teeth and the crazed look in its eyes hint at something much more feral. Suddenly it stands on its hind legs, looking like a small gnoll.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, next. this one is fairly easy, and is really just a miniature iron golem so we can modify the stats from there.

IRON MAN

FREQUENCY: Very Rare
NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 3
MOVE: 12”
HITDICE: 4
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-10
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: +3 weapon to hit, magical fire repairs damage
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Only affected by electrical magic attacks
INTELLIGENCE: Non-intelligent
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: S (3’ tall)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: IV/165 + 4/hp
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-10
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil/nil

This is a miniature iron golem; it costs one-third as much and requires only one month to construct. Like a full-sized iron golem, it is under the control of the magic-user who created it. The poisonous cloud of the iron man is 1” x 1” x 1” every 7 rounds, but causes only 1-6 points of damage, no save. It is smaller and less formidable than an iron golem but twice as fast. It is damaged only by +3 or better weapons. Only electrical magical attacks affect it, slowing it 50% for 3 rounds. Magical fire attacks repair damage on a one-hit-point for one-hit-point basis. An iron man is vulnerable to rust monster attacks.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
ok, next. this one is fairly easy, and is really just a miniature iron golem so we can modify the stats from there.

You know, I've always thought that WOTC should have come up with a guideline for reducing monsters, similar to advancing monsters. It shouldn't be too hard, simply use the size change table in reverse, lower the DC's based on lowered HD and ability scores, etc. I suppose the Gauth in the 3.5 MM was their attempt at this in a manner.

As for this little fellow, I'd recommend reducing the DR to 5/adamantine, give it 10 bonus hit points (as a Small construct), and make the following size modifications (reducing from Large to Small): -12 Str, +4 Dex, -2 natual armor, +2 size modifier to attack and AC. Oh, and of course reduce the grapple bonus by -8.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, posted some stats for this thing, let me know what you think. :) i upped the Dex a bit more, but lowered the natural armor a bit more. give me some suggestions on construction costs and other number reductions.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm with you on the stat changes. I figure it should weigh 1250 lbs. Basically, I divided the iron golem's weight by its height, and multiplied the result by 3 to arrive at this number. It's a much cleaner number than dividing 5000 by 3. ;)

I can't figure out a formula for the DCs on Craft checks, so I'm just copying off the flesh golem (DC 13).

CONSTRUCTION
An iron man’s body is sculpted from 1,250 pounds of pure iron, smelted with rare tinctures and admixtures costing at least 2,500 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 13 Craft (armorsmithing) check or a DC 13 Craft (weaponsmithing) check.

As for the rest of the construction, I still can't figure out how they came up with the XP costs. They don't match the 1/25 of the gp cost rule of the Craft Construct feat, unless I'm missing something. (For the iron golem, 300 XP can be attributed to limited wish, but the other spells have no XP costs).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, we still need to figure out caster level, as well as the cost to make it. i'll take a good estimate. :)

also, do you like the way i set the values for the breath weapon?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
also, do you like the way i set the values for the breath weapon?

I like it.

As for the caster level, I'd like to see it rather low, as this is an "entry-level" golem. The minimum caster level it can be is 5th, since Craft Construct requires Craft Magic Arms and Armor, which has a prereq of caster level 5th. It would be nice if we could come up with some alternate spells that aren't as high-level. Maybe poison or stinking cloud, lesser geas and animate objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases