• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, I think I was just forgetting about the vampire bonus feats.

Sounds fine on not using AF. Yes, I'd like to raise Int for Whirlwind later. In any case, I think Power Attack can be used with any melee weapon. For the last feat, I'd think either Point Blank Shot or Imp Unarmed Strike to open up some other options later (do you qualify as having IUS if you already have a natural attack?).

Yeah, I meant rather than the chain shirt. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Sounds fine on not using AF. Yes, I'd like to raise Int for Whirlwind later. In any case, I think Power Attack can be used with any melee weapon. For the last feat, I'd think either Point Blank Shot or Imp Unarmed Strike to open up some other options later (do you qualify as having IUS if you already have a natural attack?).

Here's where my Power Attack confusion comes from:
"You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies. (Normally, you treat a double weapon as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. If you choose to use a double weapon like a two-handed weapon, attacking with only one end of it in a round, you treat it as a two-handed weapon.)"

So I suppose you just can't use Power Attack with the offhand attack if using the spiked chain as a double weapon.

I do believe you still need Improved Unarmed Strike to qualify for other feats in that chain.

freyar

Ah, I see what you're saying about PA. It must just be there (1) as a prereq and (2) for the first side.

Ok, do you want to choose PBS or IUS for the last feat? Depends on which feat chain we might want to go down, I guess. I'm fine with either, since we don't get to play much with either of those feat chains.

freyar

I think it looks good. For the next one, do you want to jump to 10th level or just 9th? And we'll put the stat boost into Int for the feat prereqs.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's just try 9th...

Vampire Arch-Lord, 9th-Level Human Fighter
Medium Undead (Augmented Humanoid)
Hit Dice: 9d12 (58 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+3 Dex, +6 natural, +4 masterwork chain shirt), touch 13, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+17
Attack: Slam +17 melee (1d6+12 plus energy drain) or +2 spiked chain +20 melee (2d4+16) or +2 shortbow +15 ranged (1d6+2/x3)
Full Attack: Slam +17 melee (1d6+12 plus energy drain) or +2 spiked chain +20/+15 melee (2d4+16) or +2 shortbow +16/+11 ranged (1d6+2/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with spiked chain)
Special Attacks: Blood drain, children of the night, create spawn, dominate, energy drain, infectious breath, maddening countenance, rapid blood drain, spell-like abilities, stench
Special Qualities: Alternate form, damage reduction 15/silver and magic, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 7, gaseous form, lifesense, resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10, spider climb, supernatural scent, +6 turn resistance, undead traits, unnatural aura, vampire weaknesses
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 17, Con -, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +11, Climb +14, Hide +10, Listen +17, Move Silently +10, Ride +12, Search +9, Sense Motive +11, Spot +17, 6 more
Feats: Alertness (B), Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes (B), Dodge (B), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), Improved Initiative (B), Improved Unarmed Strike, Lightning Reflexes (B), Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack (B), Weapon Focus (spiked chain), Weapon Specialization (spiked chain), 1 general and 1 fighter bonus feat
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (1-2 plus 1-2 vampire lords), or troupe (1-2 plus 2-3 vampire lords plus 4-10 vampires and vampire spawn)
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Double standard (including cloak of resistance +1, +1 shortbow, and +1 spiked chain)
Alignment: Always evil (any)
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +13

Alternate Form (Su): A greater vampire can assume the shape of a bat, dire bat, wolf, or dire wolf as a swift action. While in its alternate form, the vampire loses its natural slam attack and dominate ability, but it gains the natural weapons and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. It can remain in that form until it assumes another or until the next sunrise. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might allow other forms.)

Infections Breath (Su): Once per minute, a greater vampire can breath a 30-foot cone of noxious vapor. Creatures within the area must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be inflicted with mindfire (or another disease of the DM's choice) and be nauseated for 1d4 rounds. The breath weapon lingers for 24 hours thereafter, and any creature entering its area must make a Fortitude save. A creature who successfully saves is immune to the effects of this greater vampire's infectious breath for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lifesense (Su): A greater vampire continually detects the presence of living creatures within 15 feet. This functions similarly to a detect undead spell, except that it detects living creatures instead of undead, and the greater vampire is never stunned if a living creature has more than twice its Hit Dice. Lifesense is always active.

Madenning Countenance (Su): A humanoid within 60 feet with 1 Hit Die or less that views a greater vampire's true form must attempt a DC 17 Will save. Failure indicates the creature's mind is shattered, leaving it permanently insane (as the insanity spell). A creature that makes the save is immune to that particular greater vampire's maddening countenance for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Rapid Blood Drain (Ex): A greater vampire can rapidly suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the greater vampire gains 5 temporary hit points.

Additionally, the victim must make a DC 17 Fortitude save or become fatigued, and make a second DC 17 Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will--hold portal, knock; 5/day--deep slumber (DC 16). Caster level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Stench (Ex): The stink of death and corruption surrounding these creatures is overwhelming. Living creatures within 10 feet must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be sickened for 1d6+4 minutes. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same vampire’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from a sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws. In addition, the stench spoils food and water, along with magical liquids (such as potions) that fail a 17 Will save. This ability does not affect holy water. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Supernatural Scent (Su): A greater vampire can notice the presence of creatures within 180 feet. This ability allows the vampire instantly to determine race, gender, and the presence of armor and weapons. If the greater vampire concentrates for a round, it can detect magic auras with its supernatural scent (as the first round of the detect magic spell) and alignment auras (as the first round of detect chaos, evil, good, and law spells).

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals, whether wild or domesticated, can sense the unnatural presence of a greater vampire at a distance of 15 feet. They will not willingly approach nearer than that and panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range. A character may calm a panicked animal with a DC 17 Handle Animal check if the animal is trained. However, even a trained animal panics if brought within 10 feet. The check DC is Charisma-based.

...I think all that's left are two feats and 6 skills. Combat Expertise and Whirlwind Attack?

freyar

Those feats sound good enough to me. 2 ranks each in Bluff, Sense Motive, and Move Silently? Or swap in Hide for Sense Motive?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since it gained those skills by progressing as a fighter, it will have to sink 2 ranks for each 1 in the skills you listed (which is fine). Alternatively, we can put the 6 ranks into the fighter skills.

Remove ads