• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The Foregathering Spirit attacks by moving into the body of its victim. To do this, it must have a successful hit. Treat the intended victim as Armor Class 10, ignoring his/her actual armor class, but allowing for any dexterity bonuses. Once the Spirit has moved into the body, it does 2-5 HTK of dam- age per round. After six rounds inside the victim—or if the victim is reduced to 0 HTK—absorption of the victim's spirit is complete. The monster then adds another spirit to its total.

Once the creature is inside its victim's body, any attack against the Spirit must also be considered an attack against the victim. The same roll is used, and the victim has a chance to save depending on armor class. If spells are used, the victim must save vs. spells or be affected. The victim can counterattack the Spirit inside his body by rolling a natural 20 each round, which negates the Spirit's damage for that round, and causes 2 HTK of damage to the Spirit.

Hmmmm. Might simplify that a bit. Is this acceptable?

Draining Malevolence (Su): Once per round, a foregathering spirit can merge its body with a creature. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the foregathering spirit tries move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC X). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same foregathering spirit'’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the spirit cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the foregathering spirit vanishes into the target’s body.

If the attack succeeds, the foregathering spirit deals 1 point Con damage to the victim per minute. A successful DC X Will save negates the damage and expels the foregathering spirit. The save DC is Charisma-based.

That's negotiable there....

If any characters encounter a Foregathering Spirit, they must immediately save vs. spells or be affected by the equivalent of a Fear spell. The affected character will flee as far and fast as possible for 2-5 rounds.
That sounds more like a fear aura than an unnatural aura, by the way.

freyar

Actually, it's not clear whether it includes domination or not. What do you think about the ability 2 posts above?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmmm. Might simplify that a bit. Is this acceptable?

Draining Malevolence (Su): Once per round, a foregathering spirit can merge its body with a creature. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the foregathering spirit tries move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC X). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same foregathering spirit's malevolence for 24 hours, and the spirit cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the foregathering spirit vanishes into the target’s body.

If the attack succeeds, the foregathering spirit deals 1 point Con damage to the victim per minute. A successful DC X Will save negates the damage and expels the foregathering spirit. The save DC is Charisma-based.

It's a good start.

I'd increase the damage a bit, since the original killed its victim in 6 rounds. Assuming an average Con of 11 that suggests 1d3 Con damage per round.

It also needs something about absorbing the victim's spirit and gaining strength thereby - the obvious approach is modifying the Barghest's Feed...

SRD said:
Feed (Su)
When a barghest slays a humanoid opponent, it can feed on the corpse, devouring both flesh and life force, as a full-round action. Feeding destroys the victim’s body and prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life. Check once for each destroyed creature. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic.

A barghest advances in Hit Dice by consuming corpses in this fashion. For every three suitable corpses a barghest devours, it gains 1 Hit Die, and its Strength, Constitution, and natural armor increase by +1. Its attack bonus and saves improve as normal for an outsider of its Hit Dice, and it gains skill points, feats, and ability score improvements normally.

The barghest only advances by consuming the corpses of creatures whose Hit Dice or levels are equal to or greater than its own current total. A barghest that reaches 9 Hit Dice through feeding immediately becomes a greater barghest upon completion of the act.

How's this...

Draining Malevolence (Su): Once per round, a foregathering spirit can merge its body with a creature. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the foregathering spirit tries move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC X). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same foregathering spirit'’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the spirit cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the foregathering spirit vanishes into the target’s body.

A foregathering spirit absorbs the soul or life force of any victim it slays with draining malevolence. Such victims can not be brought back to life via raise dead or resurrection spells as long as the foregathering spirit exists. There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore the victim to life. Check once for each absorbed soul. If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic unless the foregathering spirit is destroyed first.

A foregathering spirit advances in Hit Dice by absorbing souls in this fashion. For every six souls the spirit consumes, it gains 1 Hit Die.

freyar

I like the combination with feed! But I have to say that I prefer the slower damage; gies the victim more of a chance to get rid of the spirit. But I won't object too much if you want to increase to maybe 1/round or so.

Cleon

Legend
I like the combination with feed! But I have to say that I prefer the slower damage; gies the victim more of a chance to get rid of the spirit. But I won't object too much if you want to increase to maybe 1/round or so.

How about meeting halfway and making it 1d3 Con per minute?

Cleon

Legend
Sure thing.

I'll update the working draft accordingly.

Updated.

What about whether to give it a fly speed or not?

On one hand, a fly speed is consistent with the majority of incorporeal undead, on the other a land speed gives it something more distinctive.

Last edited:

Remove ads