Looking at ability scores...

Brass Golem: Str 20, Dex 11, Con --, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 7
Gold Golem: Str 27, Dex 8, Con --, Int --, Wis 11, Cha 1
Iron Golem: Str 33, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1

Maybe between gold and iron?

Str 29, Dex 9?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm. This is flavorfully a lot like a shield guardian.

The physical stats sound reasonable, maybe. Is there a reason that the brass is so much weaker, though? Since brass has copper in it, I'd think the brass and copper golems should have similar stats (or maybe I'm being too logical).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, too logical. Different designers, for starters. Perhaps they based it off value of the metal vs. durability? Dunno.

Mortis

First Post
freyar said:
I'd think the brass and copper golems should have similar stats (or maybe I'm being too logical).
Not that it means much but the brass and copper dragons have the same scores in their physical abilities across all age categories, the copper dragon has +2 to its mental ability scores over the brass dragon at all age categories.

So to cheat a little ;)
Str 20, Dex 11, Con --, Int 5, Wis 16, Cha 9

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
I just noticed the "are as strong as flesh golems" bit.

Flesh Golem Abilities: Str 21, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1

So you're about spot-on. :)

I'd say that gives us our Hit Dice (9).

Semi- Int equates to 2-4, so let's drop the Int to 4 (still better than the brass).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
2 slams with extra fire damage? (maybe +1d6)

Fiery aura (Su): Copper golems are very hot, so all creatures within 10 ft must make a DC X Fort save each round or take 1d4 hp of damage. The save DC is Strength (?) based.

(I nerfed that a bit, since the greater flame snake, which seems like it should be considerably more challenging, only does 1d6 damage in a 5 ft radius.)

Immunity to Magic (Su): Copper golems are immune to all spells or spell-like abilities that allow spell resistance, except as follows:

A magical attack that deals cold damage slows a copper golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. A copper golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.

(Mostly lifted from the iron golem. Didn't know what to do about cloudburst, since it's not in the SRD. Replace with sleet storm or ice storm?)

Vulnerability to Water (Ex): If a copper golem is immersed in water, it loses one fifth of its hit points each round and is destroyed completely on the fifth round.

(Basically lifted from the vampire.)

Shade

Monster Junkie
All that looks good.

freyar said:
(Mostly lifted from the iron golem. Didn't know what to do about cloudburst, since it's not in the SRD. Replace with sleet storm or ice storm?)

Let's just go with "spells with the water descriptor", lie we dif for the Tin Man.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shade said:
The copper golem will obey its master so long as the cleric keeps a copper talisman, which was made along with the golem, upon his person. The cleric must display the talisman openly to command the golem.

Modifying from the shield guardian...

When it is fashioned, a copper golem is keyed to a particular magical talisman. Henceforth, it regards the bearer of that talisman to be its master, protecting and following that individual everywhere (unless specifically commanded not to do so). The talisman must be openly displayed to the golem when issuing commands.

A copper golem obeys its master’s verbal commands to the best of its ability, although it is not good for much beyond combat and possibly simple manual labor. It can also be keyed to perform specific tasks at specific times or when certain conditions are met. The bearer of the talisman can call the copper golem from any distance, and it will come as long as it is on the same plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads