• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The HD of giant isn't "worth" as much as monstrous humanoid, since its BAB progression is slower and saves are worse. Plus, the skorpio gets more attacks each round.

Trust me...a player character with a chance of once per round Con damage is a force to be reckoned with (I speak from personal experience as a DM of one :rant:). A wise PC will take Ability Focus (poison) to really make a mess of the opposition.

Updated.

Ready to move on?

Cleon

Legend
The HD of giant isn't "worth" as much as monstrous humanoid, since its BAB progression is slower and saves are worse. Plus, the skorpio gets more attacks each round.

Trust me...a player character with a chance of once per round Con damage is a force to be reckoned with (I speak from personal experience as a DM of one :rant:). A wise PC will take Ability Focus (poison) to really make a mess of the opposition.

Yes, LA +3 seems the most appropriate.

Ready to move on?

I'm not sure about Longsword as its default weapon, just doesn't seem "desert primitive" enough. I was thinking Battleaxe, Warhammer or Falchion. Although I guess they could loot a lot of longswords from travellers.

Should we give them a ranged weapons, Javelins maybe?

While we're on the subject of weapons, what weapon proficiencies do they have as default - I'm tempted to say they're skilled in all simple weapons and all martial melee weapons.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I could go for falchion plus javelin, sure. Don't use falchions much.

Aren't monsters just supposed to be proficient with whatever weapons are in their stat block? But I can't remember if that's by class (martial, say) or just specifics.

Cleon

Legend
I could go for falchion plus javelin, sure. Don't use falchions much.

Yes, falchion and javelin is my favourite among the proposals.

Aren't monsters just supposed to be proficient with whatever weapons are in their stat block? But I can't remember if that's by class (martial, say) or just specifics.

The default is they get whatever's in their type, which for Monstrous Humanoids like the Skorpio it's "Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry."

Since they're described as using the weapons of foes they've defeated, I think their entry should include martial melee weapons so they can actually wield these looted arms without penalty. I'm imagining a group of Skorpios may have quite an eclectic weapons mix, depending on whatever stolen weapons they found are the best.

freyar

Oh, yeah, right. I could support adding a martial proficiency SQ, sure. It definitely fits their MO.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, yeah, right. I could support adding a martial proficiency SQ, sure. It definitely fits their MO.

It don't think it needs a SQ, just a line in their description "Skorpios are proficient in all simple weapons and all melee martial weapons", it's like Languages, you don't add a SQ for "Skorpios can speak Common and Skorpionish", after all.

freyar

True, though weapon proficiencies sometimes end up with SQs for whatever reason. I'm happy either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads