• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Although the permanent divine power and righteous might is an interesting idea, it could get pretty complicated, what with a dispel magic and all that. Perhaps we should give them something like:

Unholy Power (Su): A composite mummy gains its Charisma bonus to all attack rolls and grapple checks.
That's a simple and elegant solution.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The only difference between rot and scourge is that incubation time is halved, right?

It also damages Str on top of the other physical scores affected by mummy rot.

Since they've got a lot more Hit Dice than standard Mummies I'd think they wouldn't need such a high turn resistance, +2 is probably sufficient, and I think standard Mummy Rot is good enough.

If we're going the "chosen of the gods" route, I think they should be on par with vampires at +4.

I'd definitely give it Improved Grab with its bite.

I'll add it.

I'm also imagining these Croc-headed mummies as being physically superior but mentally none so special, so I'd give them the standard Int 10. When we get to the Jackal-headed mummy I'd go for good mental abilities to enhance the better supernatural or spell powers I fancy for them.

Oh, I also like the idea of giving the Croc Mummy a slightly higher Dex, since both a regular and giant crocodile have Dex 12.

How about Dex 13, to give it some more feat options? That would also increase its AC by a point.

I'll spot you the Dex if you let me keep the Int. ;)

Oh, and what about my earlier suggestion that the Croc Mummy has a spell-like ability to summon crocodiles (regular or giant) and water elementals?

That works for me, but could we stick to just crocs and giant crocs? I'm not really feeling the water elemental vibe. Plus, "summon crocodiles" sounds better than "summon crocodiles and water elementals". ;)

Although the permanent divine power and righteous might is an interesting idea, it could get pretty complicated, what with a dispel magic and all that. Perhaps we should give them something like:

Unholy Power (Su): A composite mummy gains its Charisma bonus to all attack rolls and grapple checks.

freyar said:
That's a simple and elegant solution.

Agreed.

If we're worried about the hit points, we can always give 'em unholy toughness as well.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend

Well, part of my concept was Might of the Gods couldn't be dispelled, the only way to suppress it was with anti-magic or by facing the mummy on ground consecrated to an "enemy god". As for the complexity, it's really only a few stat changes, no different from having a buff spell removed.

Perhaps the following rewrite would make it clearer:
Might of the Gods (Su): The god in whose image a composite mummy is crafted grants the mummy supernatural size and strength. This gives the Mummy a Base Attack Bonus equal to its Undead Hit Dice, a +6 unholy bonus to Strength, a +2 size bonus to natural armour, a +2 unholy bonus to natural armour, +1 hit points per Hit Dice, and increases its size by one step (to Large). All of these bonuses are included in its statistics above.

Might of the Gods cannot be dispelled or broken by any mortal magic, although its effects are temporarily suppressed while the composite mummy is within an anti-magic effect or an area consecrated to a god inimical to the mummy's divine patron, via a hallow spell or similar effect. A standard crocodile composite mummy without Might of the Gods has the following changes to its statistics:

(Medium Undead; AC 21 (+1 Dex, +10 natural) touch 11, flat-footed 21; BAB/Grapple +8/+15; Attack Claw +15 melee (1d6+7 plus mummy rot); Full Attack 2 claws +15 melee (1d6+7 plus mummy rot) and bite +10 melee (1d8+3 plus mummy rot); Space/Reach 5ft./5ft.; Abilities Str 24, Dex 13, Con —, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 15; Skills Swim +?)

A composite mummy's patron god can suspend its gift whenever it wishes to punish its creature for some misdeed or blasphemy (effects as above). The god can also withdraw the Might of the Gods quality from a composite mummy that has entirely lost its divine favour, which immediately destroys the mummy.
Still, if the rest of you prefer Unholy Power I'm fine with that.

I'll just stat out an alternative version, as usual.:lol:

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'll spot you the Dex if you let me keep the Int. ;)

It's a deal!

That works for me, but could we stick to just crocs and giant crocs? I'm not really feeling the water elemental vibe. Plus, "summon crocodiles" sounds better than "summon crocodiles and water elementals". ;)

Upon reflection, wouldn't fiendish crocodiles and giant crocodiles make more sense?

As for the name, I was going to go for "summon fiends of the waters".

I don't mind it if you cut the water elemental - it'll just be another difference to include in my version.:p

If we're worried about the hit points, we can always give 'em unholy toughness as well.

I'm OK on that.

Since I'm starting to think of these as "stand ins for the Demon Gods" I've decided to change my mind and back Mummy Scourge over Mummy Rot.

That reminds me, I forgot to add mention of mummy rot/mummy scourge to the Might of the Gods statblock's attack line.

EDIT: Oh yes, the current conversion has a Will save that's 2 lower than it should be (+10 from HD, +2 from Wis = Will +12, not +10)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Here's another idea, how about giving these composite mummies the ability to shapechange into animal form.

I'm thinking they could turn into a regular looking animal (e.g. a mundane seeming jackal or croc) in order to hide in plain sight while spying on their god's followers and enemies, or become an enormous monstrous animal (e.g. a giant crocodile, dire hippopotamus et cetera) which has greater mobility but weaker offense than their bipedal form.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Still, if the rest of you prefer Unholy Power I'm fine with that.

I'll just stat out an alternative version, as usual.:lol:

Yeah, I think so. :)

Upon reflection, wouldn't fiendish crocodiles and giant crocodiles make more sense?

Nope, since not all composite mummies are evil. I see them more as "calling nearby allied creatures", akin to the sabu lord.

As for the name, I was going to go for "summon fiends of the waters".

Not bad, although water elementals aren't evil. ;)

I don't mind it if you cut the water elemental - it'll just be another difference to include in my version.:p

But of course!

Since I'm starting to think of these as "stand ins for the Demon Gods" I've decided to change my mind and back Mummy Scourge over Mummy Rot.

I think the rest of these view them as "favored servants of the Egyptian/Pharoahanic deities", but of course, your version will differ. ;)

Still, I too prefer the more powerful scourge.

Here's another idea, how about giving these composite mummies the ability to shapechange into animal form.

I'm thinking they could turn into a regular looking animal (e.g. a mundane seeming jackal or croc) in order to hide in plain sight while spying on their god's followers and enemies, or become an enormous monstrous animal (e.g. a giant crocodile, dire hippopotamus et cetera) which has greater mobility but weaker offense than their bipedal form.

I considered that as well, since the similarly-themed Minions of Set have shapechanging into "totem animals".

What do the rest of you think?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I like the change shape, but the rest of Cleon's suggestions I think should remain in his own version, especially what with the demon gods and all that.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Can we simplify it to just this?

Change Shape (Su): A crocodile composite mummy can assume the shape of a crocodile or giant crocodile as a standard action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads