• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
so, the DC would be 20? where does it say how many weeks it takes to train a creature like this?

any guess as to the price of eggs and young and such? would giant owls and other trainable avian creatures provide a good example?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
so, the DC would be 20? where does it say how many weeks it takes to train a creature like this?
It depends on the purpose. For example, guarding is DC 25 and takes four weeks, while hunting is DC 25 and takes six weeks. Training it for performance is DC 20 and takes five weeks. (These include the +5 to the DC for being a non-animal with animal intelligence).

BOZ said:
any guess as to the price of eggs and young and such? would giant owls and other trainable avian creatures provide a good example?
That's probably a good place to start, although the fire falcon should be much cheaper than a giant owl due to its small size.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Here is the relevant text from the giant owl (giant eagle has identical values):

Training a giant owl requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check.

Giant owl eggs are worth 2,500 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 4,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant owl.

Griffons and hippogriffs have the same training text, but griffons have increased values for the price of young and hippogriffs have decreased prices for young. Spider eaters also have similar information. I didn’t notice any other creatures with training information.

Perhaps we can set the fire falcon’s young prices… 10% of a giant owl? 50%?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Here is the relevant text from the giant owl (giant eagle has identical values):

Training a giant owl requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check.
Note that this is to train the giant owl/eagle for combat riding, which the Handle Animal skill says takes six weeks and a DC 20 (plus an additional +5 for these being magical beasts) Handle Animal check. Since the fire falcon can't bear a rider (unless it's a really wee one), we'll have a different DC and training time.

Here are the roles I can see the fire falcon being trained for:

Fighting (DC 20): An animal trained to engage in combat knows the tricks attack, down, and stay. Training an animal for fighting takes three weeks.

Guarding (DC 20): An animal trained to guard knows the tricks attack, defend, down, and guard. Training an animal for guarding takes four weeks.

Hunting (DC 20): An animal trained for hunting knows the tricks attack, down, fetch, heel, seek, and track. Training an animal for hunting takes six weeks.

Performance (DC 15): An animal trained for performance knows the tricks come, fetch, heel, perform, and stay. Training an animal for performance takes five weeks.

BOZ said:
Giant owl eggs are worth 2,500 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 4,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant owl.

Griffons and hippogriffs have the same training text, but griffons have increased values for the price of young and hippogriffs have decreased prices for young. Spider eaters also have similar information. I didn’t notice any other creatures with training information.

Perhaps we can set the fire falcon’s young prices… 10% of a giant owl? 50%?
I thought I'd found a pattern, that the price of young equals HD x 1,000 gp and 1,000 gp to rear or train a magical beast. But the pegasus and spider eater break this rule. Also, I can't find a pattern on the price of eggs. Here are a bunch of magical beasts from the MM...see if you can figure out the pattern.

Griffon eggs are worth 3,500 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 7,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a griffon. (7 HD, Int 5)

Hippogriff eggs are worth 2,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a hippogriff. (3 HD, Int 2)

Giant eagle eggs are worth 2,500 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 4,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant eagle. (4 HD, Int 10)

Giant owl eggs are worth 2,500 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 4,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant owl. (4 HD, Int 10)

Pegasus eggs are worth 2,000 gp each on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp per head. Pegasi mature at the same rate as horses. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a pegasus, which serves a good or neutral master with absolute faithfulness for life. (4 HD, Int 10)

Spider eater eggs are worth 2,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 3,000 gp to rear or train a spider eater. (4 HD, Int 2)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Note that this is to train the giant owl/eagle for combat riding, which the Handle Animal skill says takes six weeks and a DC 20 (plus an additional +5 for these being magical beasts) Handle Animal check. Since the fire falcon can't bear a rider (unless it's a really wee one), we'll have a different DC and training time.

ah… it pays to read entire paragraphs instead of just one sentence. ;) well, that being the case, have you seen any other instances of note that provide information on training creatures or selling young aside from these potential steed creatures? Anything that gives info on just having a creature as a trained pet?

If we decide to provide some information here in ways that it hasn’t been listed before, I’d say hunting training would be the most valuable, especially since it is mentioned in the original flavor text. Also, I could see training as a guard could be useful. Fighting would be limited, since the bird isn’t big on melee fighting, and performance would be OK at best since raptors are often trained for this sort of thing.

Shade said:
I thought I'd found a pattern, that the price of young equals HD x 1,000 gp and 1,000 gp to rear or train a magical beast. But the pegasus and spider eater break this rule. Also, I can't find a pattern on the price of eggs. Here are a bunch of magical beasts from the MM...see if you can figure out the pattern.

Well then, we could just ignore the pegasus and spider eater since they are less avian than the other critters. :) how about:

Fire falcon eggs are worth 750 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 1,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a fire falcon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
ah… it pays to read entire paragraphs instead of just one sentence. ;) well, that being the case, have you seen any other instances of note that provide information on training creatures or selling young aside from these potential steed creatures? Anything that gives info on just having a creature as a trained pet?

If we decide to provide some information here in ways that it hasn’t been listed before, I’d say hunting training would be the most valuable, especially since it is mentioned in the original flavor text. Also, I could see training as a guard could be useful. Fighting would be limited, since the bird isn’t big on melee fighting, and performance would be OK at best since raptors are often trained for this sort of thing.
Here's one:

Training a thudhunter as a hunting or guard beast requires a successful Handle Animal check (DC 22 young, DC 29 adult). Thudhunter young are worth 200 gp on the open market. Professional trainers charge 500 gp to rear or train a thudhunter.

...and another...

A deep hound serves readily as a mount or guard animal, but it requires training. Training a deep hound requires a different amount of time depending on the specific training it undergoes. See the Handle Animal skill description for more information on training and handling animals and magical beasts. Riding a deep hound requires an exotic saddle.

BOZ said:
Well then, we could just ignore the pegasus and spider eater since they are less avian than the other critters. :) how about_:

Fire falcon eggs are worth 750 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 1,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a fire falcon.
Works for me!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
No foolin! :) in that case, since the deep hound entry is more recent and seems better suited to the fire falcon…

A fire falcon serves readily as a hunting or guard animal, but it requires training. Training a fire falcon requires a different amount of time depending on the specific training it undergoes. See the Handle Animal skill description for more information on training and handling animals and magical beasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads