Converting monsters from the second edition Monstrous Compendiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It is coming along nicely. Here's a few suggestions for what's left.

Organization: Solitary, pair, or squad (3-4)

I think that Improved Initiative and high Dex should cover the +5
initiative bonus in 1st round.

Save DCS: frightful presence (DC 17), minor image (DC 15), charm person (DC 14), contagion (DC 17).

I'd suggest 3/day for the additional spell-like abilities.

Since the gacholoth seems around the same power as a piscoloth, but not as challenging as a yagnoloth (which can do energy drain, among other things), I'd place it at CR 9. Since a piscoloth can be summoned using summon monster VII, I'd suggest the same for the gacholoth. If we go with this, the gacholoth's summon yugoloth ability is the equivalent of a 7th-level spell.

I'd also suggest we add the following line in the Combat section of the description: "A gacholoth can be summoned using a summon monster VII spell."

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Save DCS: frightful presence (DC 17), minor image (DC 15), charm person (DC 14), contagion (DC 17).

I'd suggest 3/day for the additional spell-like abilities.

i beleive the question came up as to whether or not to keep all of these spell-like abilities. the list given in the creature's original description is as such:

As with other yugoloths the gacholoth has the following spell-like abilities: alter self, animate dead, cause disease, charm person, improved phantasmal force, produce flame, and gate (50% chance for one gacholoth, 1/day). In addition, gacholoths have the following powers, at 5th-level spell use, usable once per round, at will: darkness 15' radius, feather fall, magic missile, and mirror image.

the first set given there is what all 2E yugoloths had. the second set is what the gacholoth had beyond that. are we keeping everything?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Of those that all yugoloths had in 2E (alter self, animate dead, cause disease, charm person, improved phantasmal force, produce flame, and gate), I'd say that the gacholoth should have at the least alter self and charm person (since it is the infiltrator), and cause disease (now contagion) seems a good fit. Gate is covered by the summon yugoloth ability now, it would seem. I'd ditch animate dead. I could go either way on produce flame and improved phantasmal force.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
here's what i'll use:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will – alter self, charm person (DC 14), contagion (DC 17), deeper darkness, feather fall, magic missile, minor image (DC 15), mirror image. Caster level 5th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Gacholoths are unaffected by acid, poison and charm spells.

ok, the immunity to acid and poison is an easy one. how about "unaffected by... charm spells"?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm yeah, but with no explanation. how about this:

Charm Immunity (Ex): A gacholoth is immune to charm monster and mass charm monster spells.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
hmm yeah, but with no explanation. how about this:

Charm Immunity (Ex): A gacholoth is immune to charm monster and mass charm monster spells.

That would work, but if you want to go 3.5, you'll have to say Immunity to Charm. It's all backwards in 3.5. :rolleyes:

You could also do it like the Asura in BOED...

Immunities: Asuras are immune to fire, petrification, charms, and compulsions.

but just shorten it to...

Immunities: Gacholoths are immune to charms.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd say he's ready to ruin many an adventurer's day. :D

How about 600 pounds (more than a vrock, less than a hezrou, all 8 feet tall)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads