Converting old varieties of orcs to 5e and making new orcs and half-orcs

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
For my homebrew I'm dealing with a split Charisma concept. A penalty when outside their racial family and bonuses within it. Use the average for spellcasting. I haven't quite got it figured out how to do it, but a similar concept could work.

Cleon

Legend
For my homebrew I'm dealing with a split Charisma concept. A penalty when outside their racial family and bonuses within it. Use the average for spellcasting. I haven't quite got it figured out how to do it, but a similar concept could work.

It might be easier just using a single score plus an adjustment, like 3E normally uses. e.g. an orc hybrid with Cha X with a special quality that give a +4 bonus to Charisma for purposes of spellcasting and Intimidation checks.

Cleon

Legend
I actually already completed the ogrillons, normal orogs, losels, and boogin(these were all fairly easy). It's the neo-orogs and tanarukk that present the biggest challenge, as part of it is differentiating them from current orcs. I'd alter the abilities, to some degree. Black neo-orogs are better at camouflage, and red neo-orogs have their special battle cry. Tanarukks have their pyromania... and their tendency to produce sorcerers... and their varying demonic heritages...

Have you already considered the various orc breeds mentioned in the "D&D Orc" Wikipedia entry?

Glancing through it I see a few that haven't been mentioned so far on this thread...

Krugel Orcs (Hollow World) - pretty much standard orcs without infravision.
Gray Orc (Races of Faerûn)
Mountain Orc (Races of Faerûn)
Aquatic Orc & Half-Orc (Unearthed Arcana)
Arctic Orc & Half-Orc (Unearthed Arcana)
Desert Orc & Half-Orc (Unearthed Arcana)
Jungle Orc & Half-Orc (Unearthed Arcana)
Water Orc (Unearthed Arcana)
Sharakim (Races of Destiny)

The various "environmental" breeds in Unearthed Arcana aren't terribly interesting, since they're basically Orc plus template. If you're going to stat up every templated orc that's possible in 3E you're going to be at it a loong time!

The Krugel Orc, Gray Orc, Mountain Orc and Sharakim look more worthwhile. At least they're given some cultural background, although they're not terribly interesting mechanically. Although that applies to most of the orc strains, since they tend to stick close to the "stock humanoid warrior" model.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It might be easier just using a single score plus an adjustment, like 3E normally uses. e.g. an orc hybrid with Cha X with a special quality that give a +4 bonus to Charisma for purposes of spellcasting and Intimidation checks.

That would be simpler. Wrap up the things where they are bad (give minuses), average, good (bonuses) all based on the activity. Thanks.

Cleon

Legend
That would be simpler. Wrap up the things where they are bad (give minuses), average, good (bonuses) all based on the activity. Thanks.

Well sometimes the simple solution's the best.

Just make sure the wording gives you the result you want.

Hmm... I wonder would it be be better to phrase it so it isn't an actual bonus? Something like "A tanarukk's Charisma is treated as if it is 4 points higher than its actual value when determining spellcasting ability and Intimidation rolls."

Well sometimes the simple solution's the best.

Just make sure the wording gives you the result you want.

Hmm... I wonder would it be be better to phrase it so it isn't an actual bonus? Something like "A tanarukk's Charisma is treated as if it is 4 points higher than its actual value when determining spellcasting ability and Intimidation rolls."

Working with 5e, I merely need to give them advantage on Intimidation rolls due to the ritual scarring, and disadvantage on most persuasion rolls. Then, I don't need to mess with the charisma itself or make it below 10, making them still work as sorcerers.

Cleon

Legend
Working with 5e, I merely need to give them advantage on Intimidation rolls due to the ritual scarring, and disadvantage on most persuasion rolls. Then, I don't need to mess with the charisma itself or make it below 10, making them still work as sorcerers.

Yes, but that's quite a bit step up or down compared to the benefits & deficits that result from having a 2-point racial adjustment to Charisma that is the standard approach for races that are particularly personable or repellent.

Yes, but that's quite a bit step up or down compared to the benefits & deficits that result from having a 2-point racial adjustment to Charisma that is the standard approach for races that are particularly personable or repellent.

True. However, 5e kind of strays away from small bonuses to enemies.

Well... Ran the Orog and Ogrillons in a campaign, today... and they went over quite well...

Ogrillon was kind of a glibbering ball of rage, where as the orog is rather intelligent... and even said, pointing at said ball of rage, "I am the reverse crossbreed of him... somehow..."

Remove ads