Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
Glad we're settled on the armor.

I prefer option 1 for the melee weapons.

Character class advancement sounds right.

Updating Reave Working Draft.

I think these are between CR 2 and 3. Their damage output plus special abilities makes them strictly better than bugbears, but I am not convinced they're quite as powerful as ogres. I guess I'd lean toward a weak CR 3, but what do you think?

Definitely a "strong CR 2". In general I'm against giving a monster a CR higher than its HD unless it has really dangerous special attacks and the Reave doesn't. I wouldn't rate them as nastier than a Leopard, which is my go-to for the high end of CR 2.

Their slow movement speed is a severe hindrance and their astral fading ability isn't that valuable in combat use since it requires full-round actions to fade in-or-out of existence which rather ruins the element of surprise, although at least the Reaves are incorporeal while they're doing so so they might escape receiving a sword in the guts before they're solid.

Hmm… I'd seriously consider tweaking the Astral Fading so it's more useful. We could change the action(s) to a less time consuming standard/move/swift action so the Reave can do something useful during the full round it shifts planes, like drinking a potion or moving to a more advantageous position.

Cleon

Legend
It'd be something like this:

Astral Fading (Su): A reave can shift from its current plane to the Astral Plane as a full-round action, and shift back again as a swift action. The astral transition takes an entire round to perform, during which time the reave gains the incorporeality subtype. The transitioning reave can perform actions normally during the round but cannot attack creatures on either plane, so it usually uses the time to prepare for combat (drinking potions, casting personal spells, moving to a more advantageous position, et cetera). A fading reave can remain in the Astral Plane for 1d6 rounds (not including the 2 rounds it spends transitioning) at the end of which it must shift back to the plane it faded from, returning to a position of their choosing within 300 feet of the position it faded at. A reave carries its equipment along when it fades into the Astral Plane but is unable to transport other creatures. The ability is otherwise identical with plane shift (caster level 15th).

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The new Astral Fading and CR 2 work for me.

Tactics: Reaves use astral fading to make "hit and run" attacks whenever possible. in general, they are disciplined attackers and close ranks with their opponents quickly in order to use their usually superior melee ability.

Cleon

Legend
The new Astral Fading and CR 2 work for me.
Tactics: Reaves use astral fading to make "hit and run" attacks whenever possible. in general, they are disciplined attackers and close ranks with their opponents quickly in order to use their usually superior melee ability.
The basics are fine but the phrasing could do with a polish and maybe a bit of embellishment on tactics & morale.

How about:

In general, reaves are highly disciplined combatants, They prefer to use astral fading to make well-coordinated "hit and run" attacks, closing quickly to unleash their usually superior melee ability upon their enemies. Reaves seize any tactical advantage they see and often make flanking attacks and ambushes from behind. Mercenaries to the core, reaves may astral fade away if the battle becomes unprofitable.

Cleon

Legend
I guess Organization is next. The original stats give a number appearing of "3–24" and says bands are "semi-military" with a war-leader, guide and possibly champion(s).

So maybe use the squad/patrol/band terms of the SRD Drow's organization? That seems appropriate.

Organization: Squad (3–5 plus 50% chance of 1st-3rd level sergeant), or patrol (5–8 plus 1d3 1st-3rd level sergeants and 1 4th-6th level champion), or band (10–24 plus 1 1st-3rd level sergeant per 5 adults, 1d2 4th-6th level champions, 1 5th-8th level guide and 1 7th-8th level war leader)

freyar

Your suggested tactics and organization look good to me.

Standard treasure seems like it would make sense.

They're the size of a "mighty human warrior" and are listed as 6-7ft tall. So, why don't we make them 6-7ft tall and 200-300 lb? That's a bit heavier than normal for a human, but they're mostly muscle, which is denser than average. We could go down to 160-250 lb if you want more normal human type weight.

Any thoughts on description and flavor?

Cleon

Legend
Your suggested tactics and organization look good to me.

Standard treasure seems like it would make sense.

They're the size of a "mighty human warrior" and are listed as 6-7ft tall. So, why don't we make them 6-7ft tall and 200-300 lb? That's a bit heavier than normal for a human, but they're mostly muscle, which is denser than average. We could go down to 160-250 lb if you want more normal human type weight.

That size and weight are fine by me.

We have yet to set the alignment and languages.

I'm thinking "Always Lawful Evil" and "Reaves speak Abyssal, Common and Infernal" seem appropriate.

Any thoughts on description and flavor?

No, but I'm free for the next hour or two so will try to whip something up.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
An armored warrior almost seven feet tall. It is shaped roughly like a man apart from its four arms, the extra pair set behind where a human's shoulders are. The eyeslit on the creature's helmet half-encircles its head to accommodate four eyes that span the front of its face. The few gaps in its clothing and armor reveal leathery skin with a pebbly texture.

Reaves are ruthless and highly disciplined mercenaries based on the lower plane of Acheron, although they actually originated from some unknown Prime Material Plane they were recruited from over a millenium ago.

Reaves have a taboo against showing their faces – even to another reave – and consider themselves oathbound to hunt down and kill anyone who sees it. On the rare occasions they do not wear a helmet they conceal their face with a cowl. A reave's face resembles a heavy-featured human with four wide-set eyes and elaborate bony ridges instead of hair.

Reaves consider their word to be sacred, and will never break an oath they've sworn. Their iron discipline and respect for their oath is necessary to restrain their love of violence, for reaves are incredibly bloodthirsty. Reaves have been known to start wars just because they did not have a job to keep them occupied. Reaves will work for anyone so long as there's fighting involved and the pay's acceptable. It does not matter to them whether they're performing atrocities for a demon lord or being bodyguards a deva.

A company of reaves is organized as a military unit led by a war leader who will be the strongest warrior among the male reaves. The most powerful female is the band's guide, who decides on strategy – whether the group will go raiding or serve someone, and if the latter under what contract. Particularly strong reaves have the rank of champion beneath these two leaders.

These creatures have a strict code of honor based on ritual challenges and the chain of command within the reave's band. They will quickly respond to any insult, even if its imaginary, usually through the medium of violence. They have a very legalistic approach to "honor" and will exploit any loophole they can find that will not break an oath, if only on a technicality. It is possible to resolve an encounter with a group of reaves by challenging their leader or champion to a duel, although such challenges should be very carefully worded.

A reave stands between 6 and 7 feet fall and usually weighs from 200 to 300 pounds. Reaves speak Abyssal, Common and Infernal.

freyar

Ah, yes, alignment and languages look good.

And the description and flavor are great!

Looking at the working draft, I think we just need a line to mention that they don't have darkvision. How do you want to word that one? Just "Reaves do not possess darkvision."?

Cleon

Legend
Ah, yes, alignment and languages look good.

And the description and flavor are great!

Looking at the working draft, I think we just need a line to mention that they don't have darkvision. How do you want to word that one? Just "Reaves do not possess darkvision."?

Yes, we might as well keep it simple.

The only other addition I could think of was a favored class for their advancement - I put in Fighter, since that seemed the most appropriate. Any counter-proposals?

Remove ads