Converting prehistoric creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd go for +50% Hit Dice rather than a straight +3 HD.

e.g.

3 HD Leopard => 4 HD.
5 HD Lion => 7 HD.

That suggests a "Sabre Toothed Jaguar" would have 6 HD, since they have 4 HD in AD&D.

So the stats I whipped up above would actually be the "sabre toothed jaguar", and then we downsize it to 4 HD for the "saber toothed leopard"?

Cleon

Legend
So the stats I whipped up above would actually be the "sabre toothed jaguar", and then we downsize it to 4 HD for the "saber toothed leopard"?

That'd be OK by me.

Although the Jaguar version might be a bit stronger than the 4 HD one, since it's midway in size between the two cats. The Sabre-Lion's going to be Str 22 and the Sabre-Leopard Str 17, suggesting a Sabre-Jaguar should be about Str 19.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, let's increase the bite, though one step for the lion is 2d6.

Definitely Multi-Attack. Could do Imp Grapple (esp for the jag), though I'm not sure why we wouldn't just give them Imp Grab.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, let's increase the bite, though one step for the lion is 2d6.

I wanted the damage to be midway between a Lion (1d8) and a Tiger/Smilodon (2d6), thus 1d10 or "half a step above 1d8".

Definitely Multi-Attack. Could do Imp Grapple (esp for the jag), though I'm not sure why we wouldn't just give them Imp Grab.

They've already got Improved Grab. I suggested just for the grapple boost, since most sabre-toothed cats probably wrestled big prey. Could make it a racial bonus instead, I guess, but I prefer the feat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
They've already got Improved Grab. I suggested just for the grapple boost, since most sabre-toothed cats probably wrestled big prey. Could make it a racial bonus instead, I guess, but I prefer the feat.

I prefer the racial bonus, as the feat appears designed for unarmed humanoids (hence the Improved Unarmed Strike prereq).

I'm OK with Multiattack and 1d8/1d10 for the bites.

Remove ads