Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
I'm just curious, but is there a half-even/half-odd suggested guideline somewhere, or is that just your personal preference?

I note that most official creatures do follow that formula, but not all.

Just curious. ;)

Hmm, I guess I thought the standard array was three 10s and three 11s, though now I look in the SRD it doesn't actually say that. Well, chalk it up to preference, then. ;)

Well, let's get the small one right first, and then we can decide about how to get the Medium one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
OK, so how about we craft the entry with three stat blocks:

Small (Priscileo)
Medium (Wakaleo)
Large (Thylacoleo)

Let's hammer out the ability scores for each size and then I'll Homebrew 'em.

Suggestions?

freyar

Small: Str 15, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6 ?
Medium: Str 21, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6 ?
Large: Str 29, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6 ?

I used WotC's trick of not quite doing the size advancement properly. ;)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The Str score on the Large is a little much. OK, a lot much--that's stronger than a dire bear! I say tone it down to Str 25 and I approve.

But then again, the Con is lower... if Shade's in favor of Str 29, I could easily be persuaded. Big punch, little staying power.

Demiurge out.

freyar

If we drop Str on the Large to 25, we should probably drop it on all 3. One point in favor of higher Str is that this thing is supposed to have the strongest bite of any mammal species ever (pound for pound). But let's come to a consensus. I just worked by starting with 15 at Small, +4 to Medium and bump by 2, then +8 to Large. Could get rid of that bump by 2, but then it's just normal advancement.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, lets drop the Str to 25. That's still a point higher than the smilodon, and I agree that the dire bear should be the king of the Str.

We can simulate the powerful bite via augmented critical and a greater bite damage for its size, without overdoing its overall body strength.

I'm fine with keeping small at 15 and Medium at 21, even with the Large "only" at 25.

freyar

Eh, let's drop the Medium to 19 in that case. That makes a little more sense to me. Augmented crit and a higher damage for the bite works.

Don't usually see you here at night... :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm traveling for work tomorrow, so won't be dropping in, so figured I'd get in some converting now. ;)

I added the Medium sized one to Homebrews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads