Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
CR 3 makes sense to me. The giant stag beetle, which is CR 4, has six less hp but an AC 4 higher and much stronger offenses.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I did a bit more searching, and apparently they are "largely tropical", so I'll change to "Temperate or warm forests".

Let's stick with DC 30 like the giant dragonfly and giant firefly.

Updated.

Check out this link for lots of facts: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/compendium/stick.html

"In some parts of the tropics, stick insects may be so abundant that eggs falling out of the trees may sound like rain on a tin roof."

I'd say that rules out solitary only. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sounds good. Updated.

Do we want to do anything fun with this?

"Females do not have a well-developed ovipositor so they cannot insert their eggs into host plant tissue like most other Orthoptera. Instead, the eggs are dropped singly onto the ground, sometimes from great heights."

"In some parts of the tropics, stick insects may be so abundant that eggs falling out of the trees may sound like rain on a tin roof. "

What about this?

"Glands located on the thorax of many species can produce a foul-smelling liquid that repels predators."

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sickened for 1d4 sounds good to me, but what about as an aura, like a troglodyte? Do these actually squirt the stuff?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
"Generally, phasmids rely on camouflage to evade predators, however, a number of species use active defences. Some species (e.g. Eurycantha) have large spines on the legs. By rapidly bringing their legs together the insects can use their spines to inflict a painful wound. Some species are also capable of making a loud, startling, hissing noise using their wings. Other species have brightly coloured wings, which they can flash to alarm predators. A number of species, such as Anisomorpha buprestoides, can produce a defensive spray capable of causing temporary blindness in humans, as well as much discomfort."

Sounds like either a ranged touch attack or a cone. Also, we may want to make its primary attacks kicks with powerful barbed hind legs. More flavorful than biting.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, agreed on the kick.

I'd like to go with a cone, then, for the spray. And blindness for 1d4 rounds rather than sickened. Sound good?

Shade

Monster Junkie
So...

Attack: Kick/leg-spines +8 melee (1d8+3)?
Full Attack: Kick/leg-spines +8 melee (1d8+3) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d2+1)?

Or should that be two kicks and drop the claws?

Defensive Spray (Ex): Once every 1d4 rounds(?), x-foot cone, blindness for 1d4 rounds, Reflex(?) DC X negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads