• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Rapid Metabolism seems a bit of a waste with that regeneration. Same with Epic Toughness, sort of. I suppose Perfect Health is not quite as redundant, but I'm not fond of it here, either. I suppose Mental Resistance is ok, but I don't see the rationale either.

Ability Focus (Engulfing Maw), Alertness, Blind-Fight, Endurance, Diehard, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Superior Initiative ??

Cleon

Legend
Rapid Metabolism seems a bit of a waste with that regeneration. Same with Epic Toughness, sort of. I suppose Perfect Health is not quite as redundant, but I'm not fond of it here, either. I suppose Mental Resistance is ok, but I don't see the rationale either.

Dang it, I just didn't think of its regeneration when I wrote Rapid Metabolism. What was I thinking!

I like Perfect Health for it, and don't mind Epic Toughness. The Mental Resistance doesn't do much for me, but I was having trouble thinking of anything better.

Ability Focus (Engulfing Maw), Alertness, Blind-Fight, Endurance, Diehard, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Superior Initiative ??

I don't like the initiative boosters. It's described as being basically non-responsive unless it's poked from the inside with a sharp stick, so why would it have fast initiative?

The Alertness doesn't feel quite right, for similar reasons.

Come to think of it, shouldn't the same complaint apply to Epic Reflexes and Lightning Reflexes?

How about cutting the Initiative feats and giving it Epic Fortitude and Perfect Health?

Ability Focus (Engulfing Maw), Alertness, Blind-Fight, Diehard, Endurance, Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Perfect Health

freyar

That'll do. The problem is that there aren't any feats that are really great for this.

Logically, I'd guess its guts should hold treasure from any of its victims that happen to die from thrashing. Standard?

Thinking about it, maybe we should add a small amount of acid damage to swallow whole victims. How else can the poor nay-churr digest?

Cleon

Legend
That'll do. The problem is that there aren't any feats that are really great for this.

I believe I mentioned that when we started discussing feats.

Updating Nay-Churr Working Draft.

Logically, I'd guess its guts should hold treasure from any of its victims that happen to die from thrashing. Standard?

"Treasure: See below ...
... The creature’s treasure consists of whatever it happens to be carrying around at the time, ranging from rocks and wreckage to undamaged and still useful items—up to and including entire ships."

Sounds like it could be anything from incidental like a Monstrous Spider to multiples of coins & goods.

Standard's as good as anything, I suppose.

Thinking about it, maybe we should add a small amount of acid damage to swallow whole victims. How else can the poor nay-churr digest?

They don't digest their victims. They absorb ether for nourishment, sucking it into their maw, and can't eat anything else. Any matter that gets in their stomach is just stuck their until they vomit it out.

freyar

Oh, right, ether! ;)

Standard treasure, then?

Advancement: 31-60 HD (Colossal)?

Any thoughts on CR? I'd lean toward 20ish, since it's vaguely like a tarrasque. Maybe it's a bit worse, though, so CR 18?

Cleon

Legend
Oh, right, ether! ;)

Standard treasure, then?

Suits me.

Advancement: 31-60 HD (Colossal)?

The original creature grew up to 500 feet long, 2.5 times its original length, so I'd go for standard triple or unlimited Advancement.

Advancement No 1: 31-90 HD (Colossal)
Advancement No 2: 31+ HD (Colossal)

Hmm, or say they have roughly it 1 HD per 5' length and:

Advancement No 3: 31-100 HD (Colossal)

I like No 3!

Any thoughts on CR? I'd lean toward 20ish, since it's vaguely like a tarrasque. Maybe it's a bit worse, though, so CR 18?

No, they should be lower than that. A Nay-Churr may be real tough, but it doesn't do much damage and only harms creatures it swallows, and then in self defense. It'd be easy for a party to escape it using dimension door or ethereal jaunt, and if they want to kill one they can get inside it and spend as long as they want setting up a way to off it without taking any counter-attacks until they actually hurt it.

Maybe a CR 13-15? It's got a few more hit points than a Purple Worm.

Even that might be stretching it for a party prepper for Nay-Churrcide.*

*That's a crime against Nay-Churr, by the way.

freyar

31-100 HD advancement is fine with me.

The party has to figure out what kills it, and the death throes can deal a pretty good amount of damage. CR 15, then? It seems quite a bit worse than the purple worm to me.

freyar

Description: A tremendous cylinder of rocky material hangs in space. A gigantic opening appears at one end.

Remove ads