• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Don't you think a rain of debris would cause something like falling damage (don't spelljamming ships have localized gravity?)? Also, the regurgitation can be voluntary:
A nay-churr does voluntarily disgorge the contents of its stomach on occasion: whenever the creature happens to be inside the air envelope of some object that it isn’t capable of swallowing, such as a planet or a large ship (100 tons or more). The result is a rain of debris in the direction of the gravity plane of the planet or ship.

How about this? Leave it out of Swallow Whole and add

Vomit (Ex): A nay-churr can regurgitate the contents of its gizzard at any time. If the debris enters a gravity field, the objects do falling damage as usual. The nay-churr will always vomit if it attempts to swallow an object too large to be encompassed by its Engulfing Maw (see above).

Cleon

Legend
Don't you think a rain of debris would cause something like falling damage (don't spelljamming ships have localized gravity?)? Also, the regurgitation can be voluntary:

How about this? Leave it out of Swallow Whole and add

Vomit (Ex): A nay-churr can regurgitate the contents of its gizzard at any time. If the debris enters a gravity field, the objects do falling damage as usual. The nay-churr will always vomit if it attempts to swallow an object too large to be encompassed by its Engulfing Maw (see above).

Looks fine, except I'd call it "disgorge" like it is in the original text.

Disgorge (Ex): A nay-churr can regurgitate the contents of its gizzard at any time. If the debris enters a gravity field, the objects do falling damage as usual. The nay-churr will always disgorge if it attempts to swallow an object too large to be encompassed by its Engulfing Maw (see above).

Shall I Update?

freyar

Disgorge works for me. But now, I think it should be "Engulfing Maw (see below)" if we're sticking to alphabetical order as usual. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Disgorge works for me. But now, I think it should be "Engulfing Maw (see below)" if we're sticking to alphabetical order as usual. ;)

Well once it moves below it'll become above, obviously. :p

We've still got the Regeneration Rate to finish arguing about.

Also, didn't we decide on a Space/Reach? I can't remember what we settled on.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, one other thing. The original version was mindless, if I remember correctly, and had the corresponding immunity to charm and the like.

So shouldn't we add immunity to mind-affecting effects?

freyar

Ahhh, yes, regeneration. How about 20 hp/round?

We're doing 120 ft/30 ft space/reach.

The original text says they are "virtually mindless," but they still have animal intelligence. I also don't see anything about immunity to charm spells on a read-through. So I think I'd leave off immunity to mind-affecting.

Cleon

Legend
Ahhh, yes, regeneration. How about 20 hp/round?

Works for me.

We're doing 120 ft/30 ft space/reach.

I vaguely remember the 120 foot Space, but weren't we originally giving it 0 ft. Reach since it didn't have any entries in its attack line.

Hmm, well we need Reach for its Reflexive Thrashing special attack, so we'd better have that 30 ft.

The original text says they are "virtually mindless," but they still have animal intelligence. I also don't see anything about immunity to charm spells on a read-through. So I think I'd leave off immunity to mind-affecting.

Yes, I know. It just seemed a bit odd to me, for some reason.

Updating Nay-Churr Working Draft.

Skills and Feats next. They don't seem to have eyes, so Spot feels wrong. I suppose we could put it all in Listen - so they can hear you through the vacuum of space. :p Still, we have given them Darkvision and Low-Light Vision, so maybe they have an array of microsopic eyespots or something.

Split the ranks for Listen +15, Spot +18? Or vica versa?

The feats selection is likely to be boring, since there aren't many it can use.

Remove ads