• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Now we need to figure out the damage from Swallow Whole. Gizzard AC is 21. Any thoughts? I'm thinking something similar to the 2d12 thrashing damage but not too much acid (1d6?).

Nay-Churr do no damage to swallowed objects, unless the object damages them and provokes a thrashing fit. They just carry swallowed stuff about until they spit it out.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Huh, that's right. Well, we should take that out of the Swallow Whole description. Probably best to put in a line "Swallowed objects take no damage except as an effect of Reflexive Thrashing (see above)." to be clear.

freyar

We seriously need a homebrews update on this.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A nay-churr can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Swallowed objects and creatures take no damage except as an effect of Reflexive Thrashing (see above). A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal x points of damage to the gizzard (AC 21). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A nay-churr’s interior can hold x Gargantuan, x Huge, x Large, x Medium, x Small, x Tiny, or x Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Thoughts about points of damage to cut out and holding capacity? Also, given the size of these things, can we lift the restriction to light weapons for cutting out?

Cleon

Legend
We seriously need a homebrews update on this.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A nay-churr can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Swallowed objects and creatures take no damage except as an effect of Reflexive Thrashing (see above). A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal x points of damage to the gizzard (AC 21). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A nay-churr’s interior can hold x Gargantuan, x Huge, x Large, x Medium, x Small, x Tiny, or x Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Thoughts about points of damage to cut out and holding capacity? Also, given the size of these things, can we lift the restriction to light weapons for cutting out?

Hmm, shouldn't we go for an Engulf-type approach? The Nay-Chur has no means to grab opponents, and couldn't the original beastie "swallow" a swathe of victims rather than something it got hold of.

freyar

That's a good point, although I think the "engulfed" victims experience something more like swallow whole. But wait, there's the whole maw thing. Man, this thing is going on so long we can't remember what we've done on it...

Yes:

Engulfing Maw (Ex): As a standard action, a nay-churr can stretch its vast maw to cover an area 120 feet in diameter which is adjacent to its Space. All creatures and objects within the affected area must make a DC 23 Reflex save to avoid being scooped into the creature's maw and swallowed. See Swallow Whole, below, for the consequences of being swallowed by a nay-churr. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

So I think we can just give it the normal Swallow Whole; it just will use the maw mostly rather than the usual grab plus swallow approach.

Cleon

Legend
Engulfing Maw (Ex): As a standard action, a nay-churr can stretch its vast maw to cover an area 120 feet in diameter which is adjacent to its Space. All creatures and objects within the affected area must make a DC 23 Reflex save to avoid being scooped into the creature's maw and swallowed. See Swallow Whole, below, for the consequences of being swallowed by a nay-churr. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

So I think we can just give it the normal Swallow Whole; it just will use the maw mostly rather than the usual grab plus swallow approach.

That's just what I was thinking of.

The DC looks correct, according to the Homebrew.

freyar

Coming back to my earlier questions:

Cleon

Legend
Coming back to my earlier questions:

Didn't the original text have it so it took enough damage to kill the Nay-Churr to cut your way out of it?

freyar

Ah, yes. And that is actually the only way to kill a nay-churr.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A nay-churr can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Swallowed objects and creatures take no damage except as an effect of Reflexive Thrashing (see above). A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing enough damage to the gizzard (AC 21) to kill the nay-churr. A nay-churr’s interior can hold x Gargantuan, x Huge, x Large, x Medium, x Small, x Tiny, or x Diminutive or smaller opponents.

I guess we need a special ability that it otherwise regenerates like the tarrasque or something and can be "knocked out" by damage to the maw.

Remove ads