• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, opponents inside don't get a save to avoid damage, so that's "more dangerous." Still, I think I'd rather the interior victims take slightly more damage too. What if external ones take only +Str instead of +1.5 Str? Or interior ones take +2xStr? Shade, is one of those agreeable?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, opponents inside don't get a save to avoid damage, so that's "more dangerous." Still, I think I'd rather the interior victims take slightly more damage too. What if external ones take only +Str instead of +1.5 Str? Or interior ones take +2xStr? Shade, is one of those agreeable?

I'll agree to this if Cleon will concede us the yugolothy cocoadaemon. :heh:

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to this if Cleon will concede us the yugolothy cocoadaemon. :heh:

I'd be happy with either 1*Str outside and 1.5 or 2*Str inside, or 1.5*Str outside and 2*Str inside.

I might allow yugolothy cocoadaemons if you agree to having good-aligned chocoarchons to counteract them. :p

freyar

No! I steer clear of the cacaofondanti! :p
Mmmmmm, chocolat fondant......

Using +Str outside and 1.5 Str inside:

Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple speed (normally 40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC 38 Reflex save or take 4d6+13 points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer 4d6+19 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC 38 Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength-based.

Cleon

Legend
Mmmmmm, chocolat fondant......

Using +Str outside and 1.5 Str inside:

Didn't Shade say he preferred 2*Str inside?

I'd be happy with either 1*Str outside and 1.5 or 2*Str inside, or 1.5*Str outside and 2*Str inside.
Either appeals, with a slight leaning towards the latter.

Looks like he prefers 1.5*Str outside and 2*Str inside, or 4d6+19 or 4d6+26.

Hmm... I'm currently preferring 1*Str outside and 2*Str inside, or +13 and +26. I'm also quite fond of the 2d10 damage of the earlier draft, but is is a little feeble.

Maybe make it 2d12+13 or 2d12+26 damage? That way the exterior damage averages 50% more.

freyar

The 4d6 came from post 586. I'd be happy with 2d12, though; the average is slightly lower, but higher values are more likely. Sure, let's do 2d12+13 or 2d12+26:

Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple speed (normally 40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC 38 Reflex save or take 2d12+13 points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer 2d12+26 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC 38 Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The 4d6 came from post 586. I'd be happy with 2d12, though; the average is slightly lower, but higher values are more likely. Sure, let's do 2d12+13 or 2d12+26:

Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple speed (normally 40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC 38 Reflex save or take 2d12+13 points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer 2d12+26 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC 38 Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength-based.

I'm cool with this.

freyar

Let's get an update to homebrews. It needs 120 ft/30 ft space/reach,

Engulfing Maw (Ex): As a standard action, a nay-churr can stretch its vast maw to cover an area 120 feet in diameter which is adjacent to its Space. All creatures and objects within the affected area must make a DC 23 Reflex save to avoid being scooped into the creature's maw and swallowed. See Swallow Whole, below, for the consequences of being swallowed by a nay-churr. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

, and

Now we need to figure out the damage from Swallow Whole. Gizzard AC is 21. Any thoughts? I'm thinking something similar to the 2d12 thrashing damage but not too much acid (1d6?).

Remove ads