• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Trying to escape by hacking through the stomach from the inside can have disastrous consequences. If the inner wall of the stomach is damaged even slightly by an attack, the nay-churr will go immediately into a state of instinctive panic and convulsion – moving forward at a rate of 18 and thrashing violently from side to side as it does so. Any objects or creatures inside it are thrown around with such force that further attacking is impossible, and the victims suffer 1d10 points of damage per round from impacts with other objects or debris.

Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple its normal speed (40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or take xdx points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer an additional 1d10 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC X Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength(?)-based.

Cleon

Legend
Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple its normal speed (40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or take xdx points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer an additional 1d10 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC X Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength(?)-based.

Rather than "the nay-churr moves at quadruple its normal speed (40 ft.)", who not just "the nay-churr moves 40 ft."?

There's nothing about what direction the travel is. It ought to be straight ahead.

Hmm, should we allow an Attack of Opportunity, like a target of a Trample attack gets?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Rather than "the nay-churr moves at quadruple its normal speed (40 ft.)", who not just "the nay-churr moves 40 ft."?

I was following the cheetah's lead. :)

Besides, if it is under the effect of a speed-boosing spell, it outta be quadrupled, right?

There's nothing about what direction the travel is. It ought to be straight ahead.

A random direction would make more sense, methinks. Or if it's angry enough, toward the nearest foe. :devil:

Hmm, should we allow an Attack of Opportunity, like a target of a Trample attack gets?

Probably.

Cleon

Legend
I was following the cheetah's lead. :)

Besides, if it is under the effect of a speed-boosing spell, it outta be quadrupled, right?

Hmm, yes I guess that makes sense.

A random direction would make more sense, methinks. Or if it's angry enough, toward the nearest foe. :devil:

Firstly, the original text has "If the inner wall of the stomach is damaged even slightly by an attack, the nay-churr will go immediately into a state of instinctive panic and convulsion – moving forward at a rate of 18 and thrashing violently from side to side as it does so. "

Secondly, I'm not sure a Nay-Churr has enough of a mind to recognize a foe.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Firstly, the original text has "If the inner wall of the stomach is damaged even slightly by an attack, the nay-churr will go immediately into a state of instinctive panic and convulsion – moving forward at a rate of 18 and thrashing violently from side to side as it does so. "

"Forward" is relative to its facing, no? In that case, moving in a straight line in a random direction seems apt. Especially given that 3e has no facing.

Secondly, I'm not sure a Nay-Churr has enough of a mind to recognize a foe.

I'll give you that. Although even mindless vermin seem to react when I try to swat them! :p

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We shouldn't specify the direction. As Shade says, there's no such thing as "forward" in 3.5, and this way the DM has leeway to be as damaging as possible. :devil: I'll also tweak the speed bit, and I arbitrarily have chosen 2d10 for the damage to external critters.

Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple speed (normally 40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or take 2d10 points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer an additional 1d10 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC X Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength-based.

Cleon

Legend
We shouldn't specify the direction. As Shade says, there's no such thing as "forward" in 3.5, and this way the DM has leeway to be as damaging as possible. :devil: I'll also tweak the speed bit, and I arbitrarily have chosen 2d10 for the damage to external critters.

Reflexive Thrashing (Ex): Whenever a nay-churr takes at least 1 point of damage to its gizzard, the creature immediately flies into a state of panic and convulsion. This reflexive thrashing lasts for 1 full round. During this time, the nay-churr moves at quadruple speed (normally 40 ft.) and any creature within its reach must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or take 2d10 points of bludgeoning damage. Creatures inside the nay-churr's gizzard suffer an additional 1d10 points of bludgeoning damage, and must succeed on a DC X Reflex save to take any action (such as attacking the nay-churr's gizzard or making a grapple check to escape). The save DC is Strength-based.

Oh very well, cut out the "forward" if it means so much to you.

I think it should do more than 2d10 damage, though. At the very least have it add a Strength bonus. Maybe have "internal" creatures take 50% extra damage?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads