Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
AC 40+ was assuming we didn't add something like Airy (I'm sure we've used that in the CC also). With Airy, I'd probably be ok with an upper 20s AC at 50% miss chance. Or perhaps 30-35 for a 20% miss chance. Assuming it applies to all damage types, I think I prefer a 20% miss chance and somewhat higher AC, just to help the gammaroids out.

Umm, AC 15ish and maybe 15-20 hp for each tentacle?

Cleon

Legend
Fascinating. The airy ability does seem quite appropriate.

AC 40+ was assuming we didn't add something like Airy (I'm sure we've used that in the CC also). With Airy, I'd probably be ok with an upper 20s AC at 50% miss chance. Or perhaps 30-35 for a 20% miss chance. Assuming it applies to all damage types, I think I prefer a 20% miss chance and somewhat higher AC, just to help the gammaroids out.

Well we all seem to like Airy, so let's go ahead with that.

So, if we're going for the 20% miss we're talking AC 32 or so.

Allowing for size and Dex penalties that'd require an additional +34 modifier.

Maybe +18 natural armour and +16 deflection?

Umm, AC 15ish and maybe 15-20 hp for each tentacle?

I'd go for AC 16 to honor the original.

As for hit points, I was thinking 10 like a Kraken's arms. The tentacles are probably not any thicker or tougher than a Kraken's secondary arms, since the Noble Gossamer got so many of the things and is relatively delicate in construction.

Cleon

Legend

That leaves the tentacle text next I suppose.

Are we making it so the tentacle severing harms the body hit points?

If we use the normal half-damage-on-severing rule it would take the loss of 145 tentacles to bring the Noble Gossamer's 725 hit points down to zero.

It'd be less trouble if the loss of a tentacle does no damage to the main body.

Secondly, are we applying a limit to how many tentacles it can bring to play against an opponent of a given size? Something modelled a darktentacle perhaps:

Monster Manual II said:
A darktentacles can use only three tentacles at once against a Small or Medium-size opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use three additional tentacles for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one tentacle. It can use a maximum of three tentacles against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

We could either use that as-is, or make it fewer tentacles (e.g. two-per-five-foot or one-per-five-foot).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I'd go with no damage to the main body, like a roper's strands, since there are so many.

I'm ok with using the numbers from the darktentacles as is.

Cleon

Legend
I think I'd go with no damage to the main body, like a roper's strands, since there are so many.

I'm ok with using the numbers from the darktentacles as is.

I'm more inclined to make it one or two tentacles per square instead, since the Noble Gossamer is so much bigger than a Darktentacles.

Let's see which (if any) Arnwyn prefers.

Cleon

Legend
2 tentacles per 5 ft square is ok too.

That'd be my preference, too.

How's this:

A noble gossamer has hundred of tentacles (approximately ten for every Hit Dive it possesses), but can attack with no more than twenty of them at any given time. If a tentacle becomes badly injured in a fight, the gossamer can simply substitute one of its hundreds of "spare" tentacles for it.

A noble gossamer’s tentacles have 10 hit points each. An opponent can attack a noble gossamer’s tentacles with a sunder attempt as if they were weapons. If a noble gossamer is currently grappling a target with the tentacle that is being attacked, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the opponent making the sunder attempt. Severing one of a noble gossamer’s tentacles does no damage to the gossamer itself. The creature regrows severed tentacles in 1d10+10 days.

A noble gossamer can use only two tentacles at once against a Small or Medium-size opponent. Against a larger foe, it can use two additional tentacles for each extra 5 feet of face the opponent has, provided that it has the reach. Against a Tiny or smaller opponent, the creature can use only one tentacle. It can use a maximum of two tentacles against all foes in any single 5-foot by 5-foot area.

Remove ads