Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It looks good up to a couple of typos: hundred should be hundreds, and Hit Dive should be Hit Die.

Skills: I'm thinking max out Spot.

Cleon

Legend
It looks good up to a couple of typos: hundred should be hundreds, and Hit Dive should be Hit Die.

Dang it, I must have been half-asleep not to have noticed those.

Skills: I'm thinking max out Spot.

That'd suit me.

It's the feats that we're going to have trouble finding an interesting selection of, since a Noble Gossamer's got so many of them and there aren't that many it can use.

Updating the Noble Gossamer Working Draft.

freyar

Well, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Imp Bull Rush, Awesome Blow all seem appropriate. Flyby Attack might also be fun. Maybe Wingover if we're looking for a feat. Lightning Reflexes and Epic Reflexes will help, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with the Fort and Will improvement feats. Improved and Superior Initiative plus Dire Charge also. That's 16 feats right there.

I've got to run at the moment but can type up a more complete list later tonight or in the morning.

freyar

OK, in no particular order, I have

Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Imp Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Flyby Attack, Wingover, Lightning Reflexes, Epic Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Epic Fortitude, Iron Will, Epic Will, Improved Initiative, Superior Initiative, Dire Charge, Endurance, Epic Endurance, Improved Overrun, Diehard

I purposefully stayed away from Hover (it can't go into a gravity well, so it doesn't need to hover anywhere) and Damage Reduction/Fast Healing (since we wanted these to be fairly soft). If I'm wrong about Hover, I'd swap out Diehard for it.

Cleon

Legend
OK, in no particular order, I have

Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Imp Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Flyby Attack, Wingover, Lightning Reflexes, Epic Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Epic Fortitude, Iron Will, Epic Will, Improved Initiative, Superior Initiative, Dire Charge, Endurance, Epic Endurance, Improved Overrun, Diehard

I purposefully stayed away from Hover (it can't go into a gravity well, so it doesn't need to hover anywhere) and Damage Reduction/Fast Healing (since we wanted these to be fairly soft). If I'm wrong about Hover, I'd swap out Diehard for it.

Awesome Blow is contradictory to their preferred tactic of grabbing and dissolving victims, so I'd cut that.

My main problem is that I don't think the Power Attack feat tree is thematically appropriate for them. having such a diaphanous creature wailing away at opponents with might blows just feels wrong to me.

The problem is that cuts out a lot of the options.

Anyhow, I'm fine with the Improved Initiation, Superior Initiative and the Reflex and Will save-boosters (standard and Epic), plus Dire Charge is fine.

Let's see, that's seven.

Endurance, Epic Endurance and Diehard are OK, which brings it up to ten.

Flyby Attack is fine, and I suppose Run and Wingover won't hurt, making it thirteen.

I think we'd better give it Hover as its fourteenth feat, since it's the rules-approved way for it to full attack while flying without having a perfect manoeuvrability.

I am quite happy to give it a few Fast Healing feats, since Jellyfish may be fragile but they can recover from injuries remarkably well, although I agree Damage Reduction is inappropriate.

For the sake of argument, let's give it two Fast Healing feats, which adds up to sixteen.

For the remaining four, let's see.

Perfect Health seems a decent choice, and goes well with the Endurance/Diehard feats we've already given it.

Ability Focus (poison) will help it deal with its prey.

And to round it out, a couple of Epic Prowess to improve the attacks to +48. On the other hand, let's go for a single Epic Prowess plus Weapon Focus (tentacles) for the same result. I don't think there are any feats we want for it that require Weapon Focus as a prerequisite, but it doesn't hurt to add the versatility.

Altogether that is:

Feats: Ability Focus (poison), Diehard, Dire Charge, Endurance, Epic Endurance, Epic Prowess, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Fast Healing×2, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiation, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Perfect Health, Run, Superior Initiative, Weapon Focus (tentacles), Wingover

freyar

You have to give it Great Fortitude to give it Perfect Health, and you might as well add Epic Fortitude as well. Hover, as I mentioned above, is ok by me; I wasn't sure if we get to bend those rules in zero gravity. Run works as well.

We now need to drop 2 feats. I'm not terribly fond of the Weapon Focus or Epic Prowess feats, and Ability Focus (poison) just seems silly with the DC the poison already has --- it requires a gammaroid to roll a 1 to fail, but even a fighter can only succeed on a roll of 20 up until level 52 if I counted right. So you could maybe convince me to keep Weapon Focus, but I'd rather drop all 3 of those and maybe add an extra Fast Healing. Or maybe Energy Resistance (cold) or something.

Cleon

Legend
You have to give it Great Fortitude to give it Perfect Health, and you might as well add Epic Fortitude as well. Hover, as I mentioned above, is ok by me; I wasn't sure if we get to bend those rules in zero gravity. Run works as well.

We now need to drop 2 feats. I'm not terribly fond of the Weapon Focus or Epic Prowess feats, and Ability Focus (poison) just seems silly with the DC the poison already has --- it requires a gammaroid to roll a 1 to fail, but even a fighter can only succeed on a roll of 20 up until level 52 if I counted right. So you could maybe convince me to keep Weapon Focus, but I'd rather drop all 3 of those and maybe add an extra Fast Healing. Or maybe Energy Resistance (cold) or something.

Dang it, I forgot that prereq. for Perfect Health.

I'm rather replace the Ability Focus (poison) with Great Fortitude and leave the rest of my proposal unchanged.

freyar

How about we let Arnwyn decide? We'll replace Ability Focus (poison) with Great Fort. The remaining choice is (Weapon Focus + Epic Prowess) vs (Epic Fort + Energy Resistance) or possibly some other combination of those 4 feats.

Remove ads