Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated. (Wow, its been almost 7 weeks since the last update to the entry! :eek:)

Okey-dokey, got a list of warlock invocations, looking for some annoying candidates and their spell equivalents if any.
  • charm (4th) aka charm monster
  • darkness (2nd) aka darkness
  • hungry darkness (3rd) aka darkness filled with a bat swarm
  • curse of despair (4th) aka bestow curse

Charm, Darkness, Bestow Curse all sound good as SLAs. Maybe hungry darkness, too, not sure.

Do we still want to give them some SLAs, on top of the spellcasting and eldritch breath?

Last edited:

RavinRay

Explorer
Maybe just a couple mischief-causing ones. Those that really bring out its naughty, impish, irritating side. And if they cause some damage on the side, even if only non-lethal, all the better for the drake. Otherwise the breath weapon is a work of beauty. :cool: The only meaner breath I can think of is of a certain obyrith (acid and insect plague) whose name I'd rather not pronounce, especially three times in succession. :eek:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
These dragons do take a while, especially when we have to go back and revise one!

I guess the SLA list is imported from the faerie drake?

Anyway, I agree with Ravin Ray. Just a couple mischievious ones. And then let's write up those spells as new spells.

freyar

Just brainstorming here, we can pick from these or whatever:

Prestidigitation, Magic Aura, Ventriloquism, Reduce Person, Misdirection, Shatter, Major Image?

I didn't want to go past 3rd level, since I don't think they should have too much in the way of SLAs.

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about:

very young (prestidigitation)
juvenile (ventriloquism)
adult (misdirection)
old (hold monster)
ancient (bestow curse)

freyar

Gets progressively meaner? I like it!

Ok, allow Charm, Trickery, and perhaps 1 other domain as arcane spells? They're supposed to like illusions, and the charming seems to fit.

Bluff, Hide, Move Silently for class skills? I could almost see Craft (trapmaking) to go with the practical jokes.

Then on to the unique spells?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Madness for the third domain?

I could see swapping Move Silently for Craft (trapmaking).

I think we missed this...

NO. OF ATTACKS: 2 claws and either 1 head butt or 1 bite
DAMAGE/ATTACK: See Table 4

The table shows damage ranging from 1 to 2-8, and notes that "Damage from biting is equal to the butt-damage value minus 1 hp, with a minimum value of 1 hp damage."

So maybe they gain a headbutt (slam) attack that deals damage one step up from their bite (1d6 for Tiny and 1d8 for Small)?

freyar

Madness is ok.

The head butt is a little weird for a true dragon, so I don't feel compelled to included it. But what you propose makes sense, also, and works for me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads