Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Right, maybe it adds a new "metabreath" ability every 3rd age category or something?

Maybe these three suggested by RavinRay at 4th, 7th, 9th, and 12th age categories?
* beshadowed blast (4th), blinded for 1 round
* bewitching blast (4th), confused for 1 round
* sickening blast (2nd)

RavinRay

Explorer
So let's give it a name, say Eldritch Breath (Su), that lists the possible effects as the dragon ages. I think. Then the n/day factor, and maybe the dragon has to wait longer than 1d4 rounds to use its breath weapon (in any form) should it apply an eldtritch effect to its breath.

freyar

I was thinking about this. Since presumably we will be dropping SLAs to make room for these effects, I think it's probably ok to leave the recharge time at 1d4 rounds.

We should write up the new spells as spells, then, for their sorc casting.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Summarizing...

Eldritch Breath (Su): A demon drake may blend baleful magical energy to impart additional debilitating effects to its breath weapon. Each of these additions may be used three times per day. Only one eldritch breath effect may be used at one time. Eldritch breath is treated as part of the breath weapon for purposes such as metabreath feats (see Draconomicon).

A juvenile or older demon drake may beshadow its beath weapon, blinding foes for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

A mature adult or older demon drake may bewitch its beath weapon, confusing foes (as the confusion spell) for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Will save.

An ancient or older demon drake may befoul its beath weapon, sickening foes for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

freyar

How about adding "A wyrmling or older demon drake may enlarge its breath weapon, doubling its radius"?

Do these effects work on anyone in the area of effect or just on characters that take damage from the breath weapon?

Edit: should we come up with something for great wyrms?

Shade

Monster Junkie
How often for the enlarging?

I'd say anyone in the breath weapon's area must save vs. the fire and eldritch effect separately.

I'm open to suggestions for a great wyrm power.

freyar

Let's stick to 3/day for enlarging.

I'll agree. Add a line: "Eldritch breath effects affect anyone in the area of the breath weapon, and victims must save separately for the fire damage and eldritch effect"?

I'll think about that one. Hmmm.

Shade

Monster Junkie
For the great wyrm, we could borrow the nauseating blast (nauseated) or binding blast (stunned).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Summarizing...

Eldritch Breath (Su): A demon drake may blend baleful magical energy to impart additional debilitating effects to its breath weapon. Each of these additions may be used three times per day. Eldritch breath effects affect anyone in the area of the breath weapon, and victims must save separately for the fire damage and eldritch effect. Only one eldritch breath effect may be used at one time. Eldritch breath is treated as part of the breath weapon for purposes such as metabreath feats (see Draconomicon).

A juvenile or older demon drake may beshadow its beath weapon, blinding foes for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

A mature adult or older demon drake may bewitch its beath weapon, confusing foes (as the confusion spell) for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Will save.

An ancient or older demon drake may befoul its beath weapon, sickening foes for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

A great wyrm demon drake may besmirch its beath weapon, nauseating foes for a number of rounds equal to its age category unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.

Enlarge Breath Weapon (Su): Three times per day, a wyrmling or older demon drake may enlarge its breath weapon, thereby doubling its radius.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads