Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
That is the question. :confused:

At the very least, I'm thinking we should follow the horrid wilting approach suggested upthread for the added detriment to water-based creatures.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then, here's an attempt. I'm not sure about the italicized parts, so comment away!

Breath Weapon (Su): A tourmaline dragon has one type of breath weapon, a cone/spread? of gas that transmutes water to a semi-solid milky substance. Creatures damaged by the breath weapon must make an additional Fortitude save or be slowed for 1 round per age category of the dragon, and water-based creatures take an extra 2d6 hp of damage per age category.

Questions:
1) Leave in the bit about the transmutation of water?
2) Only creatures damaged by the breath weapon are slowed, or should everyone in the area make the Fort save?
3) Cone or some kind of spread?
4) Add in something about only creatures with water in them being slowed?
5) Any other abilities to add on top, or is this complicated enough?

RavinRay

Explorer
1) We can leave it in.
2) All creatures should save for the slow. The gem dragon breaths with secondary effects that require a separate save (Fortitude for deafness against emerald and Will for panic against sapphire) affect all targets regardless of whether they succeed their Reflex saves. But the crystal dragon's breath blinds only those that take hp damage.
3) Cone. The nearest analogue for me is the topaz dragon's dehydrating breath which is a cone.
4) I don't think so. Constructs in the water will surely be slowed as well.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The 2d6 damage/age category to water creatures should be in place of, rather than in addition to, the usual 2d4/age category, right?

I agree with RavinRay's comments.

Cleon

Legend
4) I don't think so. Constructs in the water will surely be slowed as well.

I believe freyar was asking whether the breath should slow creatures that don't have water in their bodies (i.e. creatures made of stone, sand or fire rather than flesh-and-blood).

I guess we could say it doesn't slow creatures with the Fire or Earth subtype, because they don't have enough water, but I would rather its breath emits a coating that can slow any kind of creature.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I believe freyar was asking whether the breath should slow creatures that don't have water in their bodies (i.e. creatures made of stone, sand or fire rather than flesh-and-blood).

I guess we could say it doesn't slow creatures with the Fire or Earth subtype, because they don't have enough water, but I would rather its breath emits a coating that can slow any kind of creature.
Yup, that's what I was asking. I'll put the fire/earth subtype bit in italicized, and we can decide when Shade gets back whether to keep it or not.

Breath Weapon (Su): A tourmaline dragon has one type of breath weapon, a cone of gas that transmutes water to a semi-solid milky substance. Creatures in the area of the breath weapon must make an additional Fortitude save or be slowed for 1 round per age category of the dragon except creatures with fire or earth subtypes. Damage from the breath weapon is increased to d6 damage dice against water-based creatures/creatures with the water subtype.

Remove ads