• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd actually be in favor of leaving the Tail Sweep off entirely. If you want to add a note that they get it when advancing to G, I won't object, though.

So how would you like to do the treasure?

Cleon

Legend
I'd actually be in favor of leaving the Tail Sweep off entirely. If you want to add a note that they get it when advancing to G, I won't object, though.

I think they're more than enough Dragon to have a tail sweep attack.

So how would you like to do the treasure?

Going by the listed treasure types I was thinking standard coins, double goods, triple items. They range from Type U for a "Young" wyrm up to Types I×3,U×4,V,W×2 for an "Great Albino Wyrm".

freyar

Then let's add a note about advancement giving them tail sweep at Gargantuan size.

Strange that the treasure line gives them coins when the flavor text pretty explicitly says they don't. Well, let's say they accumulate treasure "less" than normal dragons but give them the treasure you suggest.

Cleon

Legend
Then let's add a note about advancement giving them tail sweep at Gargantuan size.

Agreed.

Strange that the treasure line gives them coins when the flavor text pretty explicitly says they don't. Well, let's say they accumulate treasure "less" than normal dragons but give them the treasure you suggest.

How about we say they only value jewelery and useful magic items and only carry such treasure with them, leaving their less "worthy" valuables carelessly strewn around their lair?

freyar

OK then. Are we settled on this?

Treasure: standard coins, double goods, triple items

and

Advanced Albino Wyrms
Albino wyrms of Gargantuan size or larger gain the Tail Sweep special attack.

ail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows an albino wyrm of at least Gargantuan size to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet (or 40 feet for a Colossal wyrm), extending from an intersection on the edge of the wyrm’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the wyrm. A tail sweep automatically deals the 2d6 hp damage (2d8 for a Colossal wyrm) plus 1-1/2 times the wyrm’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (the save DC is Strength-based).

The only change I made from the true dragon is to make the DC Str rather than Con based. Do you think we should change that back?

Cleon

Legend
OK then. Are we settled on this?

Treasure: standard coins, double goods, triple items

That's fine for the treasure.

Advanced Albino Wyrms
Albino wyrms of Gargantuan size or larger gain the Tail Sweep special attack.

ail Sweep (Ex): This special attack allows an albino wyrm of at least Gargantuan size to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet (or 40 feet for a Colossal wyrm), extending from an intersection on the edge of the wyrm’s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the wyrm. A tail sweep automatically deals the 2d6 hp damage (2d8 for a Colossal wyrm) plus 1-1/2 times the wyrm’s Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (the save DC is Strength-based).

The only change I made from the true dragon is to make the DC Str rather than Con based. Do you think we should change that back?

I'd increase the size category by one stage. As for the Con- or Str- question, my first impulse is to stick to the original Con-based version were the DC equals its Breath Weapon DC, but after due consideration I prefer the higher Strength-based DC as they seem to have more tail than a standard dragon:

Tail Sweep (Ex): An albino wyrm of at least Gargantuan size can sweep its tail as a standard action, affecting a half-circle with a radius equal to the Reach of its tail-slap attack. All creatures within the swept area that are up to three size categories smaller than the wyrm automatically take damage equal to the wyrm's tail-slap attack. Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage. The save DC is Strength-based.

freyar

OK, fair enough. Do you want to update with CR, treasure, advancement, the underbar, and anything else I've forgotten?

Cleon

Legend
OK, fair enough. Do you want to update with CR, treasure, advancement, the underbar, and anything else I've forgotten?

Come to think of it, I wanted the Tail Sweep to kick in at Huge size, since (a) I think these are more "tail-ey" than a regular Dragon and (b) if we restrict it to Gargantuan only the few who reach 30+ HD will get it.

Updating the Albino Wyrm Working Draft.

freyar

OK, I'll go along with that. But the tail sweep in the regular combat section needs to disappear. ;)

I think you can remove the red question marks.

Tactics: breath weapon, then melee? Swallow whoever it can? A bit reckless but not stupid?

Cleon

Legend
OK, I'll go along with that. But the tail sweep in the regular combat section needs to disappear. ;)

I think you can remove the red question marks.

What tail sweep and red question marks are you talking about. There aren't any in the Albino Wyrm?

Well, not any more there aren't... :p

Tactics: breath weapon, then melee? Swallow whoever it can? A bit reckless but not stupid?

Yes, that's about it.

Maybe say they sometimes use their burrow and blindsight to ambush victims by springing out of seemingly solid cave walls?

Some fluff about them fighting more like a cunning animal than a devious dragon?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads