Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
That looks pretty good to me!

Updating the Ahi the Steel Dragon Working Draft.

Shall we tackle the spells for both of them next?

Might as well.

While we're talking about updating Rahab we might as well fix the mixmatch in the AC. His stat block lists a +3 profane bonus to AC but his aura of profane darkness says it's a +4 profane bonus.

We need to change one or other of them to match. Do you have any preferences which? I'm leaning to making the AC line's +3 since that (a) matches the 3-point difference in the original AC and (b) leaves the touch AC unchanged, so involves the fewest changes to the current CC version.

Cleon

Legend
Okay, here's the outline for the spells:

Spells: Ahi casts spells as a 17th-level sorcerer. The steel dragon can cast spells of the Good, Luck and Weather domains as arcane spells.

Sorcerer Spells Known: (6/9/9/8/8/8/8/7/5; save DC 20 + spell level):
0—arcane mark, daze, detect magic, mage hand, message, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic, resistance;
1st—color spray, entropic shield, obscuring mist, protection from evil, ray of enfeeblement;
2nd—aid, fog cloud, glitterdust, gust of wind, invisibility;
3rd—arcane sight, dispel magic, lightning bolt, suggestion;
4th—freedom of movement, holy smite, scrying, solid fog;
5th—break enchantment, dispel evil, feeblemind, wall of force;
6th—blade barrier, geas/quest, true seeing;
7th—greater teleport, mass hold person, spell turning;
8th—holy aura, moment of prescience.

Spells: Rahab casts spells as an 11th-level sorcerer. The grey dragon can cast spells of the Darkness, Evil and Madness domains as arcane spells.

Sorcerer Spells Known: (6/7/7/7/6/4; save DC 13 + spell level):
0—arcane mark, detect magic, detect poison, ghost sound, mage hand, message, prestidigitation, read magic, resistance;
1st—alarm, identify, lesser confusion, protection from good, true strike;
2nd—blindness, command undead, eagle's splendor, hideous laughter, whispering wind;
3rd—blacklight, dispel magic, stinking cloud, vampiric touch;
4th—charm monster, confusion, crushing despair;
5th—dominate person, nightmare.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, let's just change the profane bonus to +3.

I guess we should pick domains first. How about Air and Weather for Ahi and Darkness and Evil for Rahab?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, let's just change the profane bonus to +3.

Agreed.

I guess we should pick domains first. How about Air and Weather for Ahi and Darkness and Evil for Rahab?

I'm inclined to give them 3 domains apiece like the Blue, Bronze, Copper, Gold and Red Dragons do.

Maybe Good, Luck and Weather for Ahi, or Darkness, Evil and Madness for Rahab? I also considered Travel for Ahi and Trickery for Rahab.

freyar

Oh, those domains will be fine.

OK, 0th level spells: resistance, detect magic, read magic, daze, ray of frost, mage hand, message, arcane mark, prestidigitation should work for both of them, but I definitely don't mind swapping out daze and/or ray of frost for either dragon if you prefer.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, those domains will be fine.

Editing Working Spells.

OK, 0th level spells: resistance, detect magic, read magic, daze, ray of frost, mage hand, message, arcane mark, prestidigitation should work for both of them, but I definitely don't mind swapping out daze and/or ray of frost for either dragon if you prefer.

I'd prefer at least a bit of variation between the two of them.

How about we give Ahi the nine cantrips you propose but give Rahab ghost sound and detect poison instead of daze and ray of frost?

freyar

That'll work for me.

Ahi at first level could have obscuring mist, protection from evil, sleep and maybe two of hypnotism, ray of enfeeblement, burning hands, or even magic missile. I feel like environmental control spells are best for him, but there aren't too many at 1st level, and I feel like he'd avoid melee due to his weak jaws. And magic missile from a Colossal dragon would be amusing. Or we could go for a utility spell like unseen servant.

For Rahab, I like lesser confusion (from the Madness domain as listed in the Divine section). Chill touch would probably work nicely with his alacritous claws, too, if he can use touch attacks with his claws. Alarm would make sense for his lair. Unseen servant and identify might also make sense with his flavor text.

Thoughts?

Cleon

Legend
That'll work for me.

Editing Working Spells.

Ahi at first level could have obscuring mist, protection from evil, sleep and maybe two of hypnotism, ray of enfeeblement, burning hands, or even magic missile. I feel like environmental control spells are best for him, but there aren't too many at 1st level, and I feel like he'd avoid melee due to his weak jaws. And magic missile from a Colossal dragon would be amusing. Or we could go for a utility spell like unseen servant.

For Rahab, I like lesser confusion (from the Madness domain as listed in the Divine section). Chill touch would probably work nicely with his alacritous claws, too, if he can use touch attacks with his claws. Alarm would make sense for his lair. Unseen servant and identify might also make sense with his flavor text.

Thoughts?

For Rahab, I like alarm, identify, lesser confusion, protection from good, true strike.

For Ahi, the standout from his Domain spells would seem to be entropic shield. How about color spray, entropic shield, obscuring mist, protection from evil, ray of enfeeblement?

freyar

Those first level spells seem fine to me.

2nd level:
Ahi - aid (on 2 domain lists), fog cloud, gust of wind, hideous laughter, invisibility perhaps.
Rahab - coming up shortly...

Remove ads