Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
Those first level spells seem fine to me.

Editing Working Spells.

2nd level:
Ahi - aid (on 2 domain lists), fog cloud, gust of wind, hideous laughter, invisibility perhaps.
Rahab - coming up shortly...

Hmm… I'm wondering whether hideous laughter wouldn't fit Rahab better considering he has the Madness domain.

He does have touch of madness from that Domain but that's significantly weaker than hideous laughter - the latter has range, requires no attack roll and forces its target prone.

How about swapping it for, say, glitterdust?

That'd make it aid, fog cloud, glitterdust, gust of wind, invisibility.

For Rahab, I'm thinking blindness, command undead, eagle's splendor, hideous laughter, whispering wind.

I'm thinking he might have a few undead thralls guarding his lair, and he seems the type to enjoy permanently blinding victims out of petty spite. The eagle's splendor is just to compensate a bit for his lower spell DCs.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Those sound good to me!

3rd level, then.
Ahi: arcane sight, call lightning, dispel magic, maybe suggestion or hold person or wind wall
Rahab: dispel magic, stinking cloud, vampiric touch, ??

Cleon

Legend
Those sound good to me!

Editing Working Spells.

3rd level, then.
Ahi: arcane sight, call lightning, dispel magic, maybe suggestion or hold person or wind wall

The problem with call lightning is it doesn't do much damage per bolt. A regular lightning bolt makes more sense. Of your three proposals I'd go for suggestion.

That'd makes it arcane sight, dispel magic, lightning bolt, suggestion.

Rahab: dispel magic, stinking cloud, vampiric touch, ??

I've long had a fondness for the Darkness Domain spell blacklight.

So blacklight, dispel magic, stinking cloud, vampiric touch.

freyar

That will work!

On to 4th level.
Ahi: Holy Smite, Scrying, Solid Fog, ???
Rahab: Charm Monster, Confusion, Crushing Despair (he's supposed to have charmed minions, but he doesn't have general charming abilities, just suggestion)

freyar

I thought about freedom of movement, so that's fine.

On to 5th level, then.
Ahi -- Dispel Evil, Sending, Teleport, maybe prying eyes or wall of force?
Rahab -- Dominate Person, Nightmare

Thoughts?

Cleon

Legend
I thought about freedom of movement, so that's fine.

Editing Working Spells.

On to 5th level, then.
Ahi -- Dispel Evil, Sending, Teleport, maybe prying eyes or wall of force?

Thoughts?

Don't much care for sending. Although teleport and wall of force are always good picks, I'm thinking maybe give him greater teleport at 7th level instead.

Maybe break enchantment since that's on the Luck domain list?

Plus an offensive spell like, say, cloudkill or feeblemind?

Let's say feeblemind for the sake of argument.

Ahi 5th-level spells: break enchantment, dispel evil, feeblemind, wall of force

Those are fine. I like the synergy of Rahab having nightmare while Ahi has the dispel evil that undoes it.

freyar

That all works for me at 5th level.

Ahi at 6th, then. Blade barrier (from the Good domain) maybe. Acid fog or freezing sphere for one option would seem thematically appropriate. True seeing, geas/quest, control water, or greater heroism might be interesting for the last spell.

Cleon

Legend
That all works for me at 5th level.

Editing Working Spells.

Ahi at 6th, then. Blade barrier (from the Good domain) maybe. Acid fog or freezing sphere for one option would seem thematically appropriate. True seeing, geas/quest, control water, or greater heroism might be interesting for the last spell.

I'm fine with blade barrier which of course belongs on the Good list. What's more benevolent than slicing your enemy to ribbons?

I'm not keen on acid fog or freezing sphere since I consider blade barrier a perfectly adequate offensive spell.

Of the four other options, geas/quest is my favorite.

Maybe mislead, repulsion or true seeing for the remaining one?

freyar

I always did think blade barrier was a funny fit for Good, but I guess it could be use of the spell by good aligned clerics in some older novels.

How about blade barrier, geas/quest, and true seeing?

7th level: greater teleport, spell turning (Luck domain), maybe mass hold person or banishment?

Remove ads