Converting True Dragons

Cleon

Legend
Looking good.

Environment: Any land? "A castle floating in the wind" isn't a standard environment type. :p

Hmm… I guess so. While Ahi's castle might float over the sea more often than it does land he doesn't live in the water.

Is "Any sky" out of the question? :p

Any thoughts on tactics? I was going with something like "Ahi uses his gaseous form and ability to control the winds and weather to great effect, preferring to deal with his opponents indirectly when possible." Something simple, like Rahab has.

The original entry mentions him using gaseous form to get behind an opponent so I guess we should mention that.

How about.

The steel dragon is an incredibly clever combatant who prefers to deal with enemies indirectly. He uses his ability to control the winds and weather to great effect, often driving away intruders without then ever seeing him. Ahi tends to use magic and breath weapons in combat, although he is not adverse to melee. He often uses his gaseous form ability to hide in clouds or mists, then maneuvers around to attack his enemies from an unexpected direction.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, I recently (probably since you wrote this post!) saw "any sky" as an environment line in a Pathfinder Bestiary, so there is sort of a precedent for that! I'm game if you are.

I like those tactics. You just need to change the typo "without then ever seeing him" to "without them ..." ;)

What do we have for description on him?

Cleon

Legend
Actually, I recently (probably since you wrote this post!) saw "any sky" as an environment line in a Pathfinder Bestiary, so there is sort of a precedent for that! I'm game if you are.

I like those tactics. You just need to change the typo "without then ever seeing him" to "without them ..." ;)

Updating Ahi the Steel Dragon Working Draft.

Come to think of it, I think that then slipped in when I was musing about changing it to "without them even seeing him".

Do you prefer that wording?

What do we have for description on him?

Just the original text's "Ahi's normal appearance to characters and other creatures is as a shifting, cloudy, dragon-shaped mass of vapor".

freyar

That's great wording!

"You know how clouds sometimes look like animals? This one looks like a dragon." :p Best I got. ;)

freyar

That's great! Looks like we just have background left, then.

"Like his brother Rahab, Ahi, the Steel Dragon (Draco Ferrosus Carbo), is a unique dragon of unknown origin. Few know his true form, as he often appears as a dragon-shaped mass of gas or mist. Ahi is a noble hermit, living in a wind-borne castle high in the sky. While he doesn't hesitate to use force against intruders, he prefers a peaceful approach..."

Not sure where else to go with this.

Cleon

Legend

Updating Ahi the Steel Dragon Working Draft.

We did agree "Any sky" was OK for the Environment, didn't we?

"Like his brother Rahab, Ahi, the Steel Dragon (Draco Ferrosus Carbo), is a unique dragon of unknown origin. Few know his true form, as he often appears as a dragon-shaped mass of gas or mist. Ahi is a noble hermit, living in a wind-borne castle high in the sky. While he doesn't hesitate to use force against intruders, he prefers a peaceful approach..."

Not sure where else to go with this.

I'd cut out the second sentence. A dragon-shaped mass of mist is his true form.

Let's see…

Like his brother Rahab, Ahi, the Steel Dragon (Draco Ferrosus Carbo), is a unique dragon of unknown origin. Ahi looks like a dragon made out of mist. He is naturally solid but can freely switch to gaseous form. In either state, Ahi's appearance is so hazy it is hard to see where he is.

The steel dragon lives above the clouds in a castle that flies around the world on the west wind. Ahi is an inhospitable loner who deals with intruders as brusquely as his lawful good alignment permits. He regularly leaves his castle to hunt for food and seize treasure from evil creatures.

Ahi is 60 feet long weighs 50 tons.

Rahab speaks Draconic, Auran, and Celestial.

Cleon

Legend
The steel dragon lives above the clouds in a castle that flies around the world on the west wind. Ahi is an inhospitable loner who deals with intruders as brusquely as his lawful good alignment permits. He regularly leaves his castle to hunt for food and seize treasure from evil creatures.

I did wonder about saying "He regularly descends from his castle to hunt for food and seize treasure from evil creatures."

The original text said Ahi "visits the earth" for food and treasure.

Or we could be more literal and use "He regularly descends to the ground to hunt for food and seize treasure from evil creatures."

freyar

Yes, "any sky" works for the environment.

I like your proposed background pretty well except for the "inhospitable loner" and brusque bit. It just doesn't feel LG enough for a dragon to me. What about this? "Ahi is a hermit who deals harshly with evil intruders and drives off other visitors through more cunning means than direct force." I do like the change to "He regularly descends from his castle..."

Cleon

Legend
Yes, "any sky" works for the environment.

I like your proposed background pretty well except for the "inhospitable loner" and brusque bit. It just doesn't feel LG enough for a dragon to me. What about this? "Ahi is a hermit who deals harshly with evil intruders and drives off other visitors through more cunning means than direct force." I do like the change to "He regularly descends from his castle..."

Well at least we're agreed on the first paragraph!

I have no objection to removing the "inhospitable" but am not in favour of "hermit" since the word has carries an association with spiritual/religious practices.

How about…

Like his brother Rahab, Ahi, the Steel Dragon (Draco Ferrosus Carbo), is a unique dragon of unknown origin. Ahi looks like a dragon made out of mist. He is naturally solid but can freely switch to gaseous form. In either state, Ahi's appearance is so hazy it is hard to see where he is.

The steel dragon lives above the clouds in a castle that flies around the world on the west wind. Ahi is a loner who deals with trespassers promptly and strictly. He regularly descends from his castle to hunt for food and seize treasure from evil creatures.

Ahi is 60 feet long weighs 50 tons.

Rahab speaks Draconic, Auran, and Celestial.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases