Converting World of Greyhawk monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
True enough! Ok, very good.

Did we decide on ranks?

Not yet, no.

I still say it needs a racial bonus to Hide so it can ambush effectively.

Skills: A Quickbiter has a +8 racial bonus to Hide and a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search check.

13 Skill points

How about:

Jump - 0 ranks + 6Str + 4 speed = Jump +10
Hide - 4 ranks + 2Dex + 8 racial - 4 size = Hide +10
Listen - 5 ranks + 1Wis = Listen +6
Search - 0 ranks - 4Int + 4 racial = Search +0
Spot
- 4 ranks +1Wis + 4 racial = Spot +9

Skills: Jump +10, Hide +10, Listen +6, Search +0, Spot +9

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ahh, sneaky on the hardness issue! I like what you're proposing better, too.

Those skills seem ok. Is the ambush bit because it's hiding in the room description? I kind of got the feeling it wasn't hiding too well if it's in the box text! ;)

Cleon

Legend
Those skills seem ok. Is the ambush bit because it's hiding in the room description? I kind of got the feeling it wasn't hiding too well if it's in the box text! ;)

It's more the "giving its targets a -2 penalty to surprise rolls" bit in the room description.:p

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'll fix the hardness bit. :)

It's more the "giving its targets a -2 penalty to surprise rolls" bit in the room description.:p

I took this more as the "quick" part of its name, not any skills at ambushing. It seems to just be waiting there, and is so swift that it "gets the jump" on those entering the area. Hence Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

So I propose Listen, Move Silently, and Spot, like the Ethereal Marauder, although I'm fine with adding Jump (or even Tumble).

Cleon

Legend
I took this more as the "quick" part of its name, not any skills at ambushing. It seems to just be waiting there, and is so swift that it "gets the jump" on those entering the area. Hence Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

Pardon? Surely surprise is mostly a matter of determining awareness, i.e. Hide/MS versus Spot/Listen. The Initiative bonus only affects what order it would act in a surprise round.

So I propose Listen, Move Silently, and Spot, like the Ethereal Marauder, although I'm fine with adding Jump (or even Tumble).

No Hide at all? Wouldn't that make it hard for them to surprise a foe.

Tumble's an interesting idea, although I'm not sure how well it fits my concept of its attack strategy, which is basically "all the biting, all the time". It would be useful if the Quickbiter likes to dash past the fighters to reach the soft, juicy characters in the back rows.

Shade

Monster Junkie
In past conversion guidelines, they suggested that a bonus to the creature's/penalty to others' initiative or surpise checks could be extrapolated as some combination of Improved Initiative and bonus on Listen/Spot checks.

I can live with Hide for these things, but I just don't really picture them doing so. They strike me more as pit bulls barking at the ends of their chains, just waiting to sink their teeth into anything that comes their way, then striking with blinding swiftness.

That's the beauty (and problem) with these abbreviated statblock creatures that only appear in modules...much is left open to interpretation. :)

Cleon

Legend
That's the beauty (and problem) with these abbreviated statblock creatures that only appear in modules...much is left open to interpretation. :)

True enough. My stance is if in doubt, give the quickbiter both beanies - a good Hide and Improved Initiative as a bonus feat. That let's the DM have them follow either (or both!) paths to surprising their victims.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Again, I agree with Cleon (that's really remarkable how often this is happening these days)--they're stealthy and springy, what with them hiding behind columns and things. A racial bonus to Hide strikes me as appropriate.

Cleon

Legend
Again, I agree with Cleon (that's really remarkable how often this is happening these days)--they're stealthy and springy, what with them hiding behind columns and things. A racial bonus to Hide strikes me as appropriate.
They're stealthy and they're springy.
They're bitey and they're meanie.
They're altogether nasty.
They're the Quickbiter family.
Sorry, it had to be done.:eek:

Anyhow that bring's us neatly to the subject of Organization. We've got nothing to go on here. The original example could have been living by itself or as part of a huge pack before it was snatched between the planes.

I feel it's probably a loner like an Ethereal Marauder [Organization: Solitary], although it may occasionally gather in mated pairs or small family packs like a Megaraptor [Organization: Solitary, pair or pack (3-6)]. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alright...I surrender. ;)

That organization works for me.

Getting back to skills, +8 racial bonus on Hide?

Hide 4, Listen 2, Move Silently 5, Spot 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads