D&D General cooler dragon themes?

Dragons from Endless Realms' Creature Compendium differ from other dragons in other RPGs in that they aren't birthed in the traditional sense. Instead, they are formed by massive explosions of excess energy within the realms. When specific types of energy gather in concentrated amounts within an area, that energy continues to build up until it can no longer be contained. Once it reaches critical mass, a young dragon is born. Some dragons are formed from a singular energy type, while others such as gemstone dragons are born from a specific mix of several energy types in exact quantities.

In other words, dragons within this setting come in with a bang, not a whimper. ;) 😋

Mated pairs of dragons or single elder dragons may also choose to birth a new dragon in a similar manner. They gather dense sources of energy-often hordes of magical items or other objects related to their core nature-and use that energy to create a dense pool, from which their young emerge.

So if you came across a dragon's hoard in this setting, they're using it to create more of their own kind. Literally! ;)

Most of the dragons in the Endless Realms setting are Gem Dragons. They aren't psionic like the ones in D&D, and there are a lot more of them here. Amber, Amethyst, Citrine, Emerald, Opal, Rose Quartz, Ruby, Sapphire and Topaz.

Then you have the elemental dragons of Earth, Fire, Frost, Storm, Water and Wind.

Lastly you have Chaos, Death, Fairy, Order, and Prismatic dragons. A Death Dragon here might look like an undead Dracolich, but it's not undead. It's the result of too much necrotic energy being held in a given area where too much death has occurred, like a battlefield.

This would be a fun project with the D&D spell schools...

An abjuration-themed dragon that has super thick armor.

An evocation-themed dragon that can do amazing things with its breath weapon.

An illusion-themed dragon that is a master of trickery...

And so on!
Monster Menagerie: Draconis Arcanus The dragons in Rogue Genius Games' Monster Menagerie: Draconis Arcanus for PF1 do represent the 8 schools of arcane magic. :)

Personally I don't need more dragons, I'm fine with the five chromatic ones. That being said, I gave rearranged their preferred territories a bit. blue is the coastal storm dragon like it obviously should, whilst the red gets hot arid deserts. White and green are fine with their traditional ones. I'm not so sure about the black. I think green could easily take care of swamps alongside the forests, as these terrains often appear nearby each other. I think black should be nocturnal like bat, but that really is not a territory...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Personally I don't need more dragons, I'm fine with the five chromatic ones. That being said, I gave rearranged their preferred territories a bit. blue is the coastal storm dragon like it obviously should, whilst the red gets hot arid deserts. White and green are fine with their traditional ones. I'm not so sure about the black. I think green could easily take care of swamps alongside the forests, as these terrains often appear nearby each other. I think black should be nocturnal like bat, but that really is not a territory...
Caverns?

Go all in with a bats/bugs/subterranean lakes/darkness/acidic mushrooms theme?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yeah, that's along the lines I was thinking. It just is that dragons are a tad bigger than bats so they need a lot more space to comfortably fly around. But I guess underdark can have such giant caverns. I think I'll go with this.

Maybe in dark mountainous crags/ravines/canyons so they dont have to be in enclosed spaces? Spending their days in the shadowy mountain crags then hunting at night.

You can even give them a little stirge vibe where they slurp their prey they previously melted with acid through a proboscis.

Remove ads