• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest weapon from literature?

Favorite named sword from literature?

• Lightbringer

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Ice

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Need

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Glamdring

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Narsil

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Sting

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Stormbringer

Votes: 106 44.9%
  • Callandor

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 56 23.7%

Clear Dragon

First Post
Does anyone remember Coinspinner?? Fun sword from Mr. Saberhagen's books. Not the best reads but fun.

I prefered Woundhealer.

Nothing like stabbing yourself in order to heal a wound. I read Saberhagen's books several years ago. I agree they were lacking in several areas but I find a lot of ideas to use for DND from them. If I remember correctly at one point a character(a villian I think) impales himself with the healing sword and then jumps off a cliff to avoid being captured. The sword heals the wounds he recieves from the fall and he gets away.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Squire James said:
I should also point out Changeling from C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine series. Literally a Sphere of Annhilation in the form of a sword, wielded by someone who knew what she was doing. Even Elric with Stormbringer would have cause to fear her!

Did they ever do a RPG based on this? I remember a graphic novel and a fiction book that was like a pick your own path thing but I thought that Morgaine would've been great for a RPG similiar to say Dragonstar or Spelljammer where science (pseudo-science even) and standard Sword & Sorcery bits mixed well.

Mortaneus

First Post
As far as coolest weapons go, I'd say the Glaive from the movie Krull.

Sure, it's not a sword, but there is a novelized form of the movie! ;)

Popey

First Post
I voted for Callandor. I mean, it's one of the three most powerful sa'angreal ever created. Using Callandor, Rand could level CITIES. Stormbringer doesn't have that kind of sauce. (Not that I don't like Stormbringer)

Popey said:
I voted for Callandor. I mean, it's one of the three most powerful sa'angreal ever created. Using Callandor, Rand could level CITIES. Stormbringer doesn't have that kind of sauce. (Not that I don't like Stormbringer)

But is it a weapon? Really, the wielder of the One Power is the weapon. Callandor's just an over-rated (and flawed) guitar amp. And not even the most powerful one in the series.

JoeGKushner

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
Regarding the question about what Stormbringer actually does - it has a mind of its own, it howls, it can dominate its wielder into doing what it wants (which is killing), and it devours the souls of all those it strikes. It also is one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse.

There seems to have been even more than that...

SPOILER BELOW

Arioch was destroyed by what seemed to be hundreds of swords like Stormbringer.

This is why I think Chaosim blew the whole Elric license. There is a lot of potential not just in the Elric character, but the Eternal Champion series. Elric, being part of the Eternal Champion, has his Companion, a very specific being who helps moderate the Champion. In addition, he also has the Sword, a powerful weapon that draws the Champion into dangerous situations while protecting, empowering and damning him at the same time.

Many of the other books, Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose, have some elements of Elric in them. Some don't focus on the Sword aspect as much but replace it with other evils, such as the Jewel in the Skull for Hawkmoon.

Then there's the whole gestault factor when more than one Eternal Champion are at the same place in the same time. "The Four Who are One?" Latter on "The Three Who Are One?"

Very interesting stuff.

Tsyr

Explorer
Re: The Elric (Well, Eternal Champion) saga... I pulled down "The Eternal Champion", in WW hardcover format, and checked the listing. The entire "Tales of the Eternal Champion" series has 15 volumes:

The Eternal Champion
Von Bek
Hawkmoon
A Nomad of the Time Streams
Elric: Song of the Black Sword
The Road Between the Worlds
Corum: The Coming of Chaos
Sailing to Utopia
Kane of Old Mars
The Dancers At the End of Time
Elric: The Stealer of Souls
The Prince with the Silver Hand
Legends from the End of Time
Earl Aubec
Count Brass

Each volume is (normaly? I wanna say all, but I havn't read them all) several books in itself... The Eternal Champion, for example, is four books, and Song of the Black sword is, I think, six.

Start out with Song of the Black Sword, if your just interested in Elric.

What I like about Moorcock, specificly, is not so much his characters (Though they are good), but his writing style... he uses an almost semi-epic style... reading Moorcock feels alot like reading Beowolf or Sir Gawain, or even Gilgamesh or similar. It's got a very vauge, larger than life feel to it.

Remove ads