• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest weapon from literature?

Favorite named sword from literature?

• Lightbringer

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Ice

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Need

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Glamdring

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Narsil

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Sting

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Stormbringer

Votes: 106 44.9%
  • Callandor

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 56 23.7%

AuroraGyps

First Post
Vote:eek:ther

I have a book named "Heroing" by Dafydd abHugh (sp?) where the main character has a sword that isn't magic, but is a super thin, flexible blade. The stuff she does with it is pretty cool.
As for coolest weapon, I love Frakir from Zelazny's Merlin series. Who wouldn't love to have a self sufficiant invisible strangle cord.;) I think it might have had other form as well.

Ciarrai

First Post
mseds99 said:
I vote for Cuchulain's weapon, the Gae Bolga. I know that's spelled wrong.

Me too. You got to love a heat seeking spear. BTW, its good to know that I am not the only fan of celtic mythology around here.

Ciarrai

First Post
Popey said:
I voted for Callandor. I mean, it's one of the three most powerful sa'angreal ever created. Using Callandor, Rand could level CITIES. Stormbringer doesn't have that kind of sauce. (Not that I don't like Stormbringer)

I was waiting for someone to bring the "Sword that is not a sword" into this. :)

Re: Post your own favourite weapons!

spunkrat said:

4) Spellbreaker, Blackwand, Pathfinder... in fact any Morganti weapon. Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series

Technically, you're thinking of the Great Weapons. They are to Morganti weapons as Morganti weapons are to.... well, ordinary weapons.

Also, Spellbreaker wasn't a weapon. Spellbreaker had the potential to become a Great Weapon, but for the moment, until it chooses to change, it's a semi-sentient morphic chain that has the possibility of dispelling enchantments thrown its way (not always, though), and can break any stationary enchantment it hits.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Check out the latest Brust novel, Issola. In it, Spellbreaker achieves its destiny, merging with a powerful Morganti dagger, becoming Godslayer. (I'm not going to ruin more of the novel by telling what Vlad calls it....)

Khorod said:
Belgarion's Sword: The sword was a way for the Orb to be a more controlled weapon. It was otherwise a big piece of forged meteoric iron. The Orb, as a greater artifact and incarnation of 1 destiny of the universe, probably has my vote for all round coolest object. It was a little 2-D character-wise though.

Well, considering it was a stone, communicated only via empathy, and was dedicated entirely to one destiny, a certain flatness of characterization is to be expected. It did have moments, though.

Coolest? Or most powerful?

For coolest, I'd have to say the Seventh Sword from Dave Duncan's trilogy.

To give some background, in a low-tech (as in, bronze age barely headed into the iron age) culture, a grand master swordsmith, Chioxin (IIRC), bargained with the chief goddess of the world. In return for making seven masterpiece swords, he gained an additional seven years of life.

Each sword had a different gemstone in its pommel, associated with the different rankings within each craft. (Novice, Apprentice, Craftsman, something, something, Honorable, Lord. White, Yellow, Brown, Orange, Red, Green, and Blue were the colors associated with each rank. Note that, while there's a cut-off, more or less, between each rank, there's no top to Seventh rank...) The pommel and handguard were each shaped to a different mythological monster. On the blades, on one side, you see seven men fighting seven different monsters--no pose repeated in any of the blades. On the other side, you see seven women feeding and pampering the same seven monsters--again, no pose repeated.

The seventh sword, probably a bastard sword or greatsword due to its length (it could only be wielded by a giant of a man--they fought one-handed, with no armor or shields), had a sapphire at the tip of its pommel. It had a griffin for its designation. The griffin stood for a motto, "Justice tempered by Mercy." It was a sword worthy of kings, a masterpiece of art, but perfectly balanced for a weapon.

(There was also one with a basilisk sword, which stood for, "Power wisely used." This one, however, had shattered in a battle, and was only available as the hilt and part of the blade.)

Okay, rambling done.

Turlogh

Explorer
Though I voted for Stormbringer. The sword I would like to "have" would be Blackrazor- most of the same powers only big draw back is don't use it on negative energy creatures (undead) or it will drain you.

Glyfair

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:

Did they ever do a RPG based on this? I remember a graphic novel and a fiction book that was like a pick your own path thing but I thought that Morgaine would've been great for a RPG similiar to say Dragonstar or Spelljammer where science (pseudo-science even) and standard Sword & Sorcery bits mixed well.

I don't think there was ever an RPG (if so, it was VERY small press). However, an issue of Dragon had Morgaine & Vanye in one of the Giants in the Earth series.

David A. Blizzard

Remove ads