• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core Books - What are they?

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Core Book (obviously) and the Bestiary. That is all.

That I would consider "core", that is. Other things might be really neat and useful, sure, but still.

Steel_Wind

Legend
If you are a player, the Pathfinder Core Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide are must haves.

If you plan to GM, the Core Rulebook, APG and Bestiary 1 is the required core, but of course I would add Bestiary 2 and the Gamemastery Guide to those, sooner rather than later.

In the nearly one year since its release, the APG has become a default book at the overwhelmingly vast majority of Pathfinder tables. I think you should pick it up either way. The Adventure Paths and modules, furthermore, assume it is in use at the table.

While Ultimate Magic and the soon-to-be-release Ultimate Combat may someday become a default assumption, right now, Ultimate Magic has not yet taken on the ubiquitous nature that the APG has earned in terms of popularity.

The last thing to get? Why, Episodes 1-14 of Chronicles: PFPC of course! We don't attempt to cover the whole wide world of gaming. We cover Pathfinder and that's it. And we do it in-depth. If you are a Pathfinder GM, especially, you will find the podcast highly informative.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
You could get by using the online reference documents for monsters, probably for a long time.

True and if you have old 3.5 Monster books they will do in a pinch. PF Beasiary is a better fit but then you also can use IP from others such as the Beholder.

redwullf

Explorer
beatingadeadhorse.jpg

Remove ads