Core Rogue Build

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've noticed recently that a monk/rogue build is highly effective. With one monk level you get a +4 to your AC, plus the other benefits of being a first level monk.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Rogues are the skill guys of the party. With a 32 point build, you might try this:

Human Rogue

Str/Con/Wis/Cha: 8. Int/Dex: 18

Feats: Imp. Init, Comb. Exp., Improved Feint, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Prof (Spiked Chain), Combat Relfexes.

Skills: Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Search, Disable Device, Open Lock, Tumble, Jump, Balance, Climb, Use Magic Device, Bluff. (13 skills to max out - or you can spread it out over more skills, but don't skimp on Search, Disable Device or UMD!)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well if hit points are an issue, replace Spiked Chain with Toughness. :)

But it depends how combat intensive the OP wants his rogue to be. If you are going pure rogue, then maybe focus on the skills stuff, with the occasional "backstab", and tumble away from the fight if it looks like things are getting a little hot for you. A reach weapon like Spiked Chain makes it easier to stay out of range, but it is not mandatory. Another good feat is Skill Focus: Disable Device, and the feat that gives you a +2 to Disable Device and Open Locks.

I mean, other characters can fight, but only the Rogue can do the traps stuff in core, and no one else has as many skill points to spend. Why not play to your strengths?

For the record, I have played a Rogue with a Con of 6, and survived to tell the tale. :)

pawsplay

Hero
Core only, eh?

Human rogue
1 Improved Initiative, TWF
3 Weapon Focus (quarterstaff)
6 Two Weapon Defense
9 Combat Expertise
12 Improved Critical (quarterstaff)
15 Improved Feint
18 Improved TWF

If you fight defensively, TWD and Tumbling will grant you an additional +2 AC on top. A half-orc or other nonhuman would be the same, only everything but Improved initiative one stage later, and never gains improved TWF.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Particle_Man said:
A reach weapon like Spiked Chain makes it easier to stay out of range, but it is not mandatory.

I agree. I think reach weapons for rogues are an often overlooked tactic. Reach weapons increase the squares you can flank from. They allow you to more often obtain a full attack while still being outside of your opponants full counter attack. They result in more attacks of opportunity against your opponants, which works well with combat reflexes (a good feat for a rogue with a reach weapon and a good dex). Reach weapons work well with spring attack, and tumble, as well. And as mentioned a spiked chain is a nice reach weapon that lets you use weapon finesse as well (another fine feat for a rogue with a good dex).

In my opinion, there are three good stategies for a combat-oriented rogue: two weapon fighting, reach weapon, and ranged weapon. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, and I don't think you could call one out as being clearly better or worse than any of the others.

As far as a stat line - if you DM allows it; elven or mountain(grey) elven (straight out of MM1 RAW) is best.

Elven: +2Dex -2 Con
Mountain(grey): -2 Str +2Dex -2 Con +2 Int

The point buy systems place a whopper of a "premium" on 18 as a stat - to powergame it;

Base Stat line - Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12

If Elven: Str 14, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12

If Mountain(grey) - Str 12, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12

Constitution isn't as much of a factor depending on how the DM does HP; If your DM allows you to average 75% of your total possible HP, this winds up being very playable. The main reason for the Str score is carrying capacity. You really don't want to be encumbered, and studded leather or chain shirt, in combination with your weapons starts to add up fast. Throw in a backpack and a waterskin, and you don't really have that much room to work with at str 10. With the Mountain - you get that higher int to squeeze out that one extra skill, but your carrying cap is tight. Depends on your flava.

frankthedm

First Post
Ye Must find a way around concealment. For it doth suck away every drop of sneak attack.

Helpeth the DM learn to design NPC's with swiftness. For the easier the DM can make classed NPCs, the less likely he will use monsters. For monsters have many special abilities that take away sneak attack and often have less loot that a classed NPC.

Let someone else get grabbed. It may soundeth selfish, but you can freeth them with enough sneak attack.

Destil

Explorer
My vote is for Human Fighter 4 / Rogue 16 with two weapon fighting and dagger feats. 18 Dex, 15 Int, others wherever you want.

1 : Rogue, Improved Iniative, Two Weapon Fighting
2 : Fighter, Weapon Finnese
3 : Rogue, Combat Expertiese or Quickdraw
4 : Fighter, Weapon Focus (Dagger)
5 : Fighter
6 : Fighter, Weapon Spec (Dagger), Improved Two Weapon Fighting
7 - 20 : Rogue

Remove ads