Core Rulebook & Bestiary Errata released

Cheers

EDIT: oh there is a dohickey for this sort of reply.

I wish they'd list the differences between v1 and v1.1 :(

Last edited:

Elodan

Adventurer
Thanks.

Any RPG subscribers get an email notifiying them that the PDF has been updated with the errata? I haven't yet.

Well flavor wise, it does make sense for a monk to not qualify for Improved Natural Attack (INA). That feat was suppose to go to bears and tigers and not monks.

Mechanics are a completely different matter. A monk's fist does count as natural weapons and Improved Natural Attack does buff up any natural weapon, so game-wise monks getting INA makes perfect sense.

Oddly enough, I remember James Jacobs: saying that that monks getting INA was a powerful thing that needed to be nerfed. Assuming I didn't misremember, that's a very "unique" opinion.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Oddly enough, I remember James Jacobs: saying that that monks getting INA was a powerful thing that needed to be nerfed. Assuming I didn't misremember, that's a very "unique" opinion.

You remember correctly. The way that a monk's unarmed strike damage increases is on a different progression than how natural attack damage dice increase, for one thing, and thus Improved Natural Attack ends up being BETTER for monks at some levels than others (or simply doesn't make sense due to the two different dice progressions).

Further, the monk's damage dice progression is what it is for game balance issues. Allowing a feat that increases that damage allows monks to break those rules.

The monk, simply put, was not built with Improved Natural Attack in mind, and Improved Natural Attack was built pretty much solely for monsters as a way to help keep advanced monster attacks relevant as they gain in strength.

Feel free, of course, to houserule it if you want! But it's not an idle choice to prevent monks from taking this feat—it was never INTENDED to be available for monks for balance and flavor issues.

Remove ads