CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Rappy

First Post
Hey, something from me that isn't a gazetteer or a monster entry! Surprised, huh? Note that this is definitely a work in progress.

Wand Wizard
In a world of alchemists, mages, and priests, the wand wizard manages to stand out due to their quirky way of harnessing magic. Rather than having their innate magic spring forth from their hands or their heads, they must channel their powers through a focus: specifically, a wand. This advanced class reflects spellcasters of the Harry Potter-verse and other such wand-based magic users.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Wand Wizard, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
  • Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 6 ranks

Class Information
The following information pertains to the Wand Wizard advanced class.

Hit Die
The Wand Wizard gains 1d6 hit points per level. The character’s Constitution modifier applies.

Action Points
The Wand Wizard gains a number of action points equal to 6 + one-half her character level, rounded down, every time she attains a new level in this class.

Class Skills
The Mage’s class skills are as follows.
  • Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Chemical) (Int), Craft (Pharmaceutical) (Int), Craft (Structural) (Int), Craft (Visual Arts) (Int), Craft (Writing) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (Arcane Lore, Current Events, History) (Int), Listen (Wis), Read/Write Language (none), Research (Int), Speak Language (none), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magical Device (Int).
  • Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

wandwizchart.png

Class Features
All of the following features pertain to the Wand Wizard advanced class.

Arcane Skills
At 1st level, the Wand Wizard gains the Arcane Skills feat, granting access to the following skills: Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, and the arcane functions of Concentration and Craft (Chemical).

Wandcraft
The Wand Wizard gains the ability to craft a special wand utilized to channel their magic. They cannot cast any spells known without this wand. A Wand Wizard's wand is a magic item with a caster level equal to the Wand Wizard's class level, and contains a number of charges equal to their class level plus their Intelligence modifier. These charges must be "loaded" with uses of the Wand Wizard's known spells. A use of a 0- or 1st-level spell costs 2 charges, a use of a 2nd-level spell costs 4 charges, a use of a 3rd-level spell costs 6 charges, the use of a 4th-level spell costs 8 charges, and the use of a 5th-level spell costs 10 charges. A wand that has used up all of its charges regains them at a rate of 2 charges per hour of rest.

Wand Recharge
Due to the hazardous nature of combat, Wand Wizards learn to recharge their wand on the fly. Starting at 2nd level, a Wand Wizard can instantly restore up to 5 charges of their wand as a full-round action once per day. At 5th level, this increases to a recharge of 10 points, and again to 15 points at 8th level.

Bonus Feat
At 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels, the Wand Wizard gains a bonus feat. The Wand Wizard must meet all of the prerequisites of the feat, and the feat must be taken from the following list.
Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Dead Aim, Defensive Martial Arts, Dodge, Elusive Target, Far Shot, Fleet of Foot, Improved Disarm, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Strike, Run, Supernatural Strike.

Deft Wand
Sometimes, it's best to be the first on the draw. As such, by 7th level, the Wand Wizard gains the ability to draw their wand from wherever they've concealed it as a free round action.

Wand Supercharge
At 10th level, the Wand Wizard has gained the ability to put their wand on "overdrive" and produce powers beyond the norm. Once per day, the Wand Wizard may expend all charges of their wand to cast a single incantation, rather than a spell, in a single concentrated burst of arcane energies. A specific incantation is tied to each wand the Wand Wizard crafts, similar to unique spells.

Last edited:

Rappy

First Post
The Wand Wizard has been updated. Feel free to tell me if I'm making it overly complex, what you'd do differently, etc.

Same thing for the following Star Wars NPC (oh yes, I'm back to Star Wars again); I just went with my gut instinct for the most part, so you can feel free to disagree and tell me what you would do differently.

Han Solo
Famous as both a rogue and a hero of the Rebellion and various other wars, Han Solo has made a name for himself in Coreline as somewhat of a celebrity amongst certain Coreliners and a (rather hesitantly) retired veteran. When danger rears its ugly head in the Star Wars galaxy, however, you can expect this famous former smuggler and pilot to be somewhere in the thick of it.

Han Solo (Human Charismatic Hero 3/Fast Hero 2/Swindler 3/Dogfighter 6): CR 14; Medium-size humanoid; HD 3d6+3 plus 2d8+2 plus 3d6+3 plus 6d8+6; HP 72; Mas 13; Init +3; Spd 30 ft; Defense 22, touch 22, flatfooted 19 (+0 size, +3 Dex, +9 class); BAB +8; Grap +9; Atk +11 melee (1d6+1/19-20, combat knife) or +11 ranged (2d8, blaster pistol); Full Atk +11/+6/+1 melee (1d6+1/19-20, combat knife) or +11/+6/+1 ranged (2d8, blaster pistol); FS 5 ft by 5 ft; Reach 5 ft; SQ Cheat fate, defender of the universe, shake, rattle, and roll 1/day, thousand faces, to the max; AL Galactic Alliance of Free Planets; SV Fort +6, Ref +14, Will +7; AP 7; Rep +8; Str 13, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 17.
Skills: Bluff +15, Computer Use +12, Diplomacy +7, Disguise +9, Escape Artist +9, Gamble +15, Gather Information +9, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (Business) +12, Knowledge (Current Events) +12, Knowledge (Streetwise) +12, Navigate +12, Pilot +19, Profession (Smuggler) +7, Read/Write English, Read/Write Huttese, Sleight of Hand +19, Speak English, Speak Huttese, Speak Shyriiwook (understand only).
Feats: Deceptive, Dodge, Far Shot, Jack of all Trades, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Quick Draw, Renown, Simple Weapons Proficiency, Starship Dodge, Starship Gunnery, Starship Mobility, Starship Operations (Ultralight), Weapon Finesse (Combat Knife).
Talents (Charismatic Hero): Charm, Fast-Talk.
Talents (Fast Hero): Evasion.
Possessions: Blaster pistol, combat knife, Corellian uniform, Millennium Falcon (customized YT-1300*), unicom.
*Standard Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-1300 Light Freighters use the stats of a Fast Freighter; the Millennium Falcon is, obviously, a rather kitted-out model.

Last edited:

I love those stats. For the Wand Wizard... better to see what you finally make before making any comments. I would just go and make Avada Kedabra VERY frekin' expensive, though (because it is a gamebreaker, hands down. It's 'die now, no save allowed' ).

Rappy

First Post
Welp, the Wand Wizard is done now. I'm a bit busy with my other projects at the moment, but my next planned entry in this thread will be a new Gazetteer entry after a while of their absence.

Aquarius Alodar

First Post
Same thing for the following Star Wars NPC (oh yes, I'm back to Star Wars again); I just went with my gut instinct for the most part, so you can feel free to disagree and tell me what you would do differently.

Han Solo
Famous as both a rogue and a hero of the Rebellion and various other wars, Han Solo has made a name for himself in Coreline as somewhat of a celebrity amongst certain Coreliners and a (rather hesitantly) retired veteran. When danger rears its ugly head in the Star Wars galaxy, however, you can expect this famous former smuggler and pilot to be somewhere in the thick of it.

Han Solo (Human Charismatic Hero 3/Fast Hero 2/Swindler 3/Dogfighter 6): CR 14; Medium-size humanoid; HD 3d6+3 plus 2d8+2 plus 3d6+3 plus 6d8+6; HP 72; Mas 13; Init +3; Spd 30 ft; Defense 22, touch 22, flatfooted 19 (+0 size, +3 Dex, +9 class); BAB +8; Grap +9; Atk +11 melee (1d6+1/19-20, combat knife) or +11 ranged (2d8, blaster pistol); Full Atk +11/+6/+1 melee (1d6+1/19-20, combat knife) or +11/+6/+1 ranged (2d8, blaster pistol); FS 5 ft by 5 ft; Reach 5 ft; SQ Cheat fate, defender of the universe, shake, rattle, and roll 1/day, thousand faces, to the max; AL Galactic Alliance of Free Planets; SV Fort +6, Ref +14, Will +7; AP 7; Rep +8; Str 13, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 17.
Skills: Bluff +15, Computer Use +12, Diplomacy +7, Disguise +9, Escape Artist +9, Gamble +15, Gather Information +9, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (Business) +12, Knowledge (Current Events) +12, Knowledge (Streetwise) +12, Navigate +12, Pilot +19, Profession (Smuggler) +7, Read/Write English, Read/Write Huttese, Sleight of Hand +19, Speak English, Speak Huttese, Speak Shyriiwook (understand only).
Feats: Deceptive, Dodge, Far Shot, Jack of all Trades, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Quick Draw, Renown, Simple Weapons Proficiency, Starship Dodge, Starship Gunnery, Starship Mobility, Starship Operations (Ultralight), Weapon Finesse (Combat Knife).
Talents (Charismatic Hero): Charm, Fast-Talk.
Talents (Fast Hero): Evasion.
Possessions: Blaster pistol, combat knife, Corellian uniform, Millennium Falcon (customized YT-1300*), unicom.
*Standard Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-1300 Light Freighters use the stats of a Fast Freighter; the Millennium Falcon is, obviously, a rather kitted-out model.

"Kitted-out" is something of an understatement....as you'll see here.... Also, Shyriiwook is not that difficult....equivalent to Terran French or Spanish, maybe. The two other languages, however....

Just a request for help (a mite of it).

I have recently thought about adding Uplifted Animals to this setting (you know, as in the Uplift Trilogy, Eclipse Phase, Transhuman Space, et al). I dunno if to go with a singular write-up for evry race, or to make a Templace to slap on whichever animal you wanna Uplift (it's not much about quickness, but practicality. Sure, an Uplifted dolphin and an Uplifted crow are smart enough to interact with a human being and handle equipment that has been modified, but they do have some differences).

jefgorbach

First Post
Just a request for help (a mite of it).

I have recently thought about adding Uplifted Animals to this setting (you know, as in the Uplift Trilogy, Eclipse Phase, Transhuman Space, et al). I dunno if to go with a singular write-up for evry race, or to make a Templace to slap on whichever animal you wanna Uplift (it's not much about quickness, but practicality. Sure, an Uplifted dolphin and an Uplifted crow are smart enough to interact with a human being and handle equipment that has been modified, but they do have some differences).

I could be mistaken, but it seems Coreline generally follows the D&D v3.x / Pathfinder rules in which case the Awaken spell should suffice for the Uplift to sentience, so all you'd really need would be a feat/spell (such as Teratism I,II,III from Dragon #237) to make any desired physical alterations such as bipedal stance, opposable thumbs, etc.

I could be mistaken, but it seems Coreline generally follows the D&D v3.x / Pathfinder rules in which case the Awaken spell should suffice for the Uplift to sentience, so all you'd really need would be a feat/spell (such as Teratism I,II,III from Dragon #237) to make any desired physical alterations such as bipedal stance, opposable thumbs, etc.

Haven't heard of those spells before (then again, I didn't followed Dragon Magazine closely). Could you E-Mail me the information?

Rappy

First Post
Sorry to say, no new ideas have been coming to me as far as Coreline goes lately, and life and my other d20 projects have been hectic. But I'm planning on revitalizing and restructuring an idea from not too long ago that should hopefully make up for the lack of my posting in this thread.

Remove ads