D&D 5E Correct order to read ALL of the Forgotten Realms novels?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Some of the old novels are small and can be banged out in around 3 hours.

Some are a hard slog, I've probably read around 70 maybe. Mostly in the 90s.

Well, in the last two weeks I've read the first six FR novels and another book (for work). I'm a good reader, I've read 40 books a year (min) for the past I don't know how long, certainly the last 20 years, possibly longer.

Way back when (probably when I was a student) I got one of those lists of fifty novels you have to read before you die, and read them all in a year... including Ulysses and Proust (to name the best, and the hardest). I've been at it ever since, and semi-retirement has been a boon.

Cheers goonalan

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, in the last two weeks I've read the first six FR novels and another book (for work). I'm a good reader, I've read 40 books a year (min) for the past I don't know how long, certainly the last 20 years, possibly longer.

Way back when (probably when I was a student) I got one of those lists of fifty novels you have to read before you die, and read them all in a year... including Ulysses and Proust (to name the best, and the hardest). I've been at it ever since, and semi-retirement has been a boon.

Cheers goonalan

I read less mostly because less time or the time is doing other stuff. I used to be able to bang out a 500 page novel in a day. If you're semi retired thats leaves more time, a lot of the novels were aimed at young adults/teenagers back in the day though so when you got things like the Iron Throne or the War of the Spider Queen Series they stood out a bit more compared to the earlier material.

R_J_K75

Legend
Some of the old novels are small and can be banged out in around 3 hours.

Well, in the last two weeks I've read the first six FR novels and another book (for work).

I wish I could read that fast these days, thats impressive. I used to be able to read a boxed set or supplement book in a day or less, and an FR novel in about the same maybe a little longer. Once I needed glasses I cant read more than an hour or two. Think it has something to do with sitting in front of a computer for work for 20 years, I just find it hard to keep my concentration too. I remember reading an article a few years back that there was a study done that claimed the internet and reading from a computer screen has changed how people read and process information.

Shiroiken

Legend
I'd probably avoid ALL the realms books, because... well there's a lot of bad ones. I'd suggest reading all of Salvador's and Greenwood's, because those largely define the Realms for the most part (and they're both really good authors). It doesn't really matter which you read first, as they don't cross over each other much at all. You might want to pick up a few favorites (Evermeet and Cormyr are my suggestions), then read The Grand History of the Realms sourcebook. After that, if you really want to learn about Realms for 5E, I'd read the published order of the 4E novels and then the Sundering series, followed by whatever 5E novels they put out before ending the product line.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd probably avoid ALL the realms books, because... well there's a lot of bad ones.

Agreed 100%. I wish I could remember which ones I read that were bad but its been so long. I just bought Death Masks by Ed Greenwood a few weeks back and I just couldn't get passed the first 10 pages so I returned it to Amazon. The writing style seemed convoluted and drawn out to where it made it hard to follow. I dont remember his earlier stuff I read being like that. In his defense I havent read a fantasy novel in quite some time so it may have just been me.

R_J_K75

Legend
Escape from Undermountain was pretty decent. The Song and Swords books by Elaine Cunningham were very good, and I believe Evermeet tied into those books too although its not listed as part of the series.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Thanks for the great advice, however when I say I am going to read ALL of the FR novels, then... well, there's no grey area- I am going to read ALL of the FR novels. The only issue is the order.

I'm also going to slip in (at some point) all of the Eberron novels, and between each fantasy series/trilogy read some of the books that would otherwise stack up on my shelves.

My numbers above- I stated I read 40 books/year were very conservative. I used to be a Uni lecturer, maybe for each of the courses I taught I would have 30 students (again conservative) maybe I would teach six separate units that semester. So, 30 assignments 4k words each x 6 = 720k words, marking time three to four weeks. Then I get on with my second marking. There are two semesters in a year, so double it. And I realise, of course, that reading for marking is not the same as reading for pleasure (don't I know it) but it kinda is.... for me.

It'll take me ten years or so to do the list of 295 FR novels, again, that's a conservative estimate giving me plenty of leg room, and time each year to read a few more books that are non-FR.

If you have any more suggestions for the order to read the FR novels then pile on.

Thanks goonalan

Remove ads