Cortex Plus Creator Studio Announced By Margaret Weis Productions

Margaret Weis Productions is joining WotC (Dungeon Master's Guild) and Monte Cook Games (Cypher System Creator Program) and lunching a DriveThruRPG-powered third party product distribution platform called the Cortex Plus Creator Studio. This will replace their existing Cortex Plus Fan Product and Cortex Plus Official Licensed Product licenses. It, like the McG one, is launching this Spring, with commission details and term to be revealed later.

Margaret Weis Productions is joining WotC (Dungeon Master's Guild) and Monte Cook Games (Cypher System Creator Program) and lunching a DriveThruRPG-powered third party product distribution platform called the Cortex Plus Creator Studio. This will replace their existing Cortex Plus Fan Product and Cortex Plus Official Licensed Product licenses. It, like the McG one, is launching this Spring, with commission details and term to be revealed later.

Cortex_CCC_web.png

The full announcement reads as follows:

[h=4]Margaret Weis Productions Jumps into DriveThruRPG’s Community Content Program with the announcement of the Cortex Plus Creator Studio™[/h]
Margaret Weis Productions (MWP) and DriveThruRPG are thrilled to announce a partnership that will offer third party game designers the opportunity to publish Cortex Plus RPG supplements through the Cortex Plus Creator Studio.

This program will take the place of MWP’s existing Cortex Plus Fan Product and Cortex Plus Official Licensed Product once it launches. The Cortex Plus Creator Studio, which is planned for this Spring, will give creators a chance to share their hacks, settings, and vision using the system outlined in the Cortex Plus Hacker’s Guide, as well as the upcoming Cortex Plus Heroic and Cortex Plus Action core rulebooks.

Standing alongside Wizards of the Coast’s DMsGuild (which is run by DriveThruRPG) and Monte Cook Games’ just announced Cypher System Creator program, Margaret Weis Productions will allow publishers of any size to offer Cortex Plus RPG supplements for sale on DriveThruRPG.com. Creators will set the price for their work, or may offer their release for free. Individual, small, or large publishers are all welcome under the Cortex Plus Creator Studio parameters. Details of the terms and conditions including royalties, commissions, and revenue shares will be released prior to the formal launch of the program.

Margaret Weis has this to say - “I believe role-playing game companies are stronger when standing together. We’re thrilled to be joining DriveThruRPG in this program that’s all about those who play our games. We have always listened to our fans, and their feedback and ideas have been incorporated into what we produce. We can’t wait to see what the community creates and how they expand on the characters, adventures, settings and rules through the Cortex Plus Creator Studio.”

Matt McElroy, Director of Publishing for DriveThruRPG, stated,”The Cortex Plus fanbase have created their own worlds and system hacks for years. This new program will offer opportunities for creators to share their work with other Cortex Plus fans around the world, and help support this beloved system.”

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
That's a "maybe" problem. And since we're a wary bunch that has been burned by poor quality products in the past, I don't think it's a "real" issue. Reviews and word of mouth should keep that from happening, as will all the people too paranoid about bad content who are staying away from the DMGuild.

They have quality, but at the cost that it's hard for fans to break in without going through a formal pitching process with an established 3PP, working through stiff competition at RPG Superstar & Wayfinder, or starting their own publishing venture. The "easiest" way to get published with a Pathfinder compatible product is likely Wayfinder, since they advertise that they're taking pitches.
DMsG has potential in inbecoming a sort of Dragon mag. WotC could highlight some products or even buy the right and put them in Dragon+. To me it would resolve some questions about quality knowing a product was vetted.The biggest problem here is no one at WotC has the time to go through products, test them and recommand them.

delericho

Legend
I imagine if they wanted to open up the community or it became a focus, they could do an FAQ or layman's guide to the OGL.

We've got a few of those. The problem is that eventually they all reach a point where they basically have to say "you need to speak to a lawyer". Because the OGL is a legal document with all that that entails, and you can't be seen to be giving legal advice without qualifications.

On topic, I really dug Cortex as a system for a while.
I had some fun with the original version of Firefly, and liked having dice for attributes. But my players ruined it for me: because damage is tied to accuracy it's easy to optimize by stacking attack bonuses. They ran around one-shotting everything. I haven't seen much Cortex Plus at work, so I can't say if the problems persist.

Cortex Plus is completely different, to the extent that any comparison is essentially meaningless - they're no more similar than D&D 5e and Mutants & Masterminds.

Kannik

Hero
On topic, I really dug Cortex as a system for a while.
I had some fun with the original version of Firefly, and liked having dice for attributes. But my players ruined it for me: because damage is tied to accuracy it's easy to optimize by stacking attack bonuses. They ran around one-shotting everything. I haven't seen much Cortex Plus at work, so I can't say if the problems persist.

Cortex Plus is so different, it may be hampered by keeping the "cortex" part of its name. Cortex Plus is much more in the vein of FATE and its ilk. I was not a fan of Cortex (and this was before I became a fan of FATE-type games), but Cortex Plus has me quite excited to give it a try. :)

peace,

Kannik

That is just publicity or reviews. This is not buying a product to put it in Dragon+.

Dragon+ was only part of your comment. You did say that:
WotC could highlight some products
And posting links to 2-3 quality products on the official site is certainly that.

Also, Dragon+ isn't the same thing as Dragon Magazine. Dragon+ is not a source of game content: it's a marketing tool and news aggregate, albeit one with a familiar name.
There's no revenue for Dragon+, no subscription process or way for people to pay money for it, and its budget is likely tiny.
It's a newsletter.

There's also no advantage in taking content off the DMs Guild and giving it away for free on Dragon+. It's not like there's a wider audience. It'd be just as easy to highlight/advertise products on Dragon+ with links.
Selling the rights doesn't seem very advantageous for the author either. A long-term best seller might conceivably generate more money than a one-time payment from WotC, even at old Dragon rates.

That said, looking for cool ideas and content and buying that individual content from creators for inclusion in physical books is very different.

And so far we haven't seen more publicity like that. Is it because they do not have the time to review products or there aren't any good products out there?
Neither.
If you read the article, you'll see that it's planned to release every other month. Given it was released *just* over a month ago, we still have a month before we get more publicity like that.

Oh, and there are LOTS of good products out there. You just need to look. There was even a forum post kicking around here with a list of "5-star freebies" that listed well-rated products that were PWYW (aka free).

Remove ads

Remove ads