D&D 5E CoS Nightmare

Solovar

First Post
CoS has a good story but I do find it gets less interesting as you play. We are at level 3 and passed the death house which really surprised me. First, players die too often and too fast which is very hard to get into the story. 4 out of 5 players don't really put effort into the background and I noticed they pay more or less attention at the table except the 5th player because she passes her time hiding and fleeing away because doesn't want to die. One of the examples is we were at the church and went into the basement and we had to fight a kid vampire who was hungry. So what the vampire does is grapple the players and sucks the blood till he is declared dead, then jumps on another character and does the same and it kept regenerating it's HP. Every time we tried attacking it, we had to roll % die. 50% + we hit our grappled player which the paladin ended up dead from no more blood. The druid was barely alive and same thing happen to the war priest who died as well in the same way and the others just ran away.

First was the DM on the dot with that? meaning did he play this right? I just find it excessive, I lost 2 characters already and I find it less fun. I really don't want to put energy and effort in making a characters for this adventure. Up to now, we have 5 characters that died and we are still lvl 3. I am on the edge of calling it for this adventure sadly :-(

Any advice to lift up my spirits?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing

Play smarter. Coordinate tactics. I've not played the module in question, but if what you and the group are doing is ending up with everybody dead, try something else.

Dunno how much that will lift your spirits, but it's the only way you'll get through.

BoldItalic

First Post
Seems to me that your DM is stacking the odds against you and killing your enjoyment of the game.

If a creature is grappled, it isn't helpless; it can still attack or attempt to break free. Did you not know that?

Also, AFAIK there is no rule in the 5e books saying that you have a 50% change of hitting the wrong target if you attack an enemy that is grappling your ally. You either hit the intended target (if you roll high enough vs its AC) or you miss completely.

Talk to your DM. If he won't change his style, find a different DM.

Glomb175

Explorer
I've read that CoS is very difficult, there have been veteran players who died in the death house.

My old DM tried getting us to play this as our first ever D&D campaign, after he allowed us to pass the death house (even though we shouldn't have) I took over as DM and we did LMoP.

But ultimately, to do CoS you really need to plan carefully and work together.

Sent from my HTC 10 using EN World mobile app

Ganymede81

First Post
Barovia is filled with evil, powerful beings, but they aren't all wandering around like boss monsters in a video game. Interactions with them don't always have to end in mortal combat, even if it might mean you need to swallow your pride and engage diplomatically with a villain.

neogod22

Explorer
CoS has a good story but I do find it gets less interesting as you play. We are at level 3 and passed the death house which really surprised me. First, players die too often and too fast which is very hard to get into the story. 4 out of 5 players don't really put effort into the background and I noticed they pay more or less attention at the table except the 5th player because she passes her time hiding and fleeing away because doesn't want to die. One of the examples is we were at the church and went into the basement and we had to fight a kid vampire who was hungry. So what the vampire does is grapple the players and sucks the blood till he is declared dead, then jumps on another character and does the same and it kept regenerating it's HP. Every time we tried attacking it, we had to roll % die. 50% + we hit our grappled player which the paladin ended up dead from no more blood. The druid was barely alive and same thing happen to the war priest who died as well in the same way and the others just ran away.

First was the DM on the dot with that? meaning did he play this right? I just find it excessive, I lost 2 characters already and I find it less fun. I really don't want to put energy and effort in making a characters for this adventure. Up to now, we have 5 characters that died and we are still lvl 3. I am on the edge of calling it for this adventure sadly :-(

Sounds like you DM was kind of a dick there, or the PCs were stupid. The vampire spawn isn't supposed to try and escape the basement and will only fight if he has no other choice. If there was a clear route for him to escape, he should've taken it. On the other hand, if your characters stood on or blocked the exit, then well, your fault. Really in this setting, if the characters think they can just break down doors and kill e everything in their path, they will die a lot. You need more role playing and intelligence to survive the lower levels.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads