PROFESSIONALLevels 5-6got associates300 - thousand3-10
Levels 7-8got bachellors3000 - myriad30-100
MASTERLevels 9-10got masters30,000 - 100,000300-1000
Levels 11-12got doctorate300,000 - million3000-10,000
LEADERLevels 13-14national advisor3 M - 10 M30,000-100,000
Levels 15-16regional leader30 M - 100 M300,000-million
LEGENDLevels 17-18national leader300 million - billion3 M -10 M
Levels 19-20superpower3 billion - 10 billion300 million - billion

I more agree with the OP's premise that level 1 is the Bachelor's degree level personally, with Masters being 5th level.

Altering the forces of reality to fly or blast apart a small village with one action seem much more than "associate degree" stuff to me at least. shrug

Yaarel

He Mage
I more agree with the OP's premise that level 1 is the Bachelor's degree level personally, with Masters being 5th level.

Altering the forces of reality to fly or blast apart a small village with one action seem much more than "associate degree" stuff to me at least. shrug

I feel highschool Harry Potter style adventure settings are important for D&D to handle.

Also 5e levels are so skewed, its levels 1-4 are all moreorless 4e level 0.

Finally, and perhaps most pertinently, the 5e Players Handbook explicitly identifies all levels 1-4 as apprenticeship levels:

"In the FIRST TIER (leveIs 1-4), characters are effectively APPRENTICE adventurers. They are learning the features that define them as members of particular classes."

Only afterward can they function as autonomous, independent, professionals. Only those who are levels 5 and above are the journeymen − or ‘journeyers’ − of the medievalesque education system, who begin to practice their trade professionally on their own. The 5e Players Handbook says,

"In the second tier (leveIs 5-10), characters come into their own. Many spellcaslers gain access to 3rd-Ievel spells at the start of this tier, crossing a NEW THRESHOLD of magical power."

The official view correlates well with the first tier equating to high school, but perhaps can also include participating in post-diploma specialized training, towards an Associates degree (or an internship or special training by a business or a personal pursuit).

In other words, levels 1-4 corresponds to reallife ages of 13 to 19.

Only at level 5 do they cross the threshold into a completely different tier of professionalism.

Level 5 approximates the age of adulthood at 20.

Regarding adventures:

At the apprenticeship levels 1-4, the major threats (and adventures) are local places or a village as a whole (or an urban neighborhood).

At the professional levels 5 and up, the players can practice a trade − including as mercenaries − and adventures can participate to face challenges that might threaten a kingdom (or notable town), and being hired by prominent people to deal with such threats.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
In reallife, an Associates means a professional can work as a nurse, operate highly advanced technology, and so on. In a high magic world, the Associates degree being achieved while leveling to level 5 corresponds well to performing a Fireball, Remove Curse, Revivify, and so on. A Masters degree means things like Wall of Force. A ‘legend’ means things like Wish.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
In reallife, an Associates means a professional can work as a nurse, operate highly advanced technology, and so on. In a high magic world, the Associates degree being achieved while leveling to level 5 corresponds well to performing a Fireball, Remove Curse, Revivify, and so on. A Masters degree means things like Wall of Force. A ‘legend’ means things like Wish.

In your opinion.

To me a wall of force is PhD work.

I agree wish is legendary. At least we have that in common!

Yaarel

He Mage
D&D is a high magic setting. Not necessarily are many people educated. Masters are highly respected. These ‘masters of magic’ know how to do a Wall of Force.

Master is Master. The Master tier is a masters degree, a master of one or more apprentices, possibly a ‘headmaster’ of an academy, a ‘guildmaster’ of a trade profession, a ‘chief’ of priests, a ‘chief’ of police, or so on. The Master tier (levels 9 and up) is a master.

Regarding the Apprentice tier.

An advantage of Apprentice representing being in highschool and then while training in some professional skill,

means that player characters are still learning from their mentors, are still maintaining continual contact with their mentors, are still performing duties and assignments for their mentors, and are being routinely TESTED by their mentors to see how they preform.

This setting scenario helps anchor the players within the fantasy world. The players become part of a routine, being highly aware of specific mentors, specific classes, staff, fellow students, sports teams, local places in the town that their college is in or nearby − including student dorms or nearby student ghettos − and importantly places to party with fellow students.

Apprentice tier makes the SETTING more vivid, more palpable, and easier to relate to, and serves as a diving platform to the world beyond, once attaining level 5.

akr71

Hero
This is really cool and I'm totally stealing it. However, after 6 years of study, I would hope that the graduate would be a little better equipped that a bog-standard Level 1 Wizard.

I would consider giving them at least a few extra spells for their spellbook, and extra skill and extra cantrip.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
@akr71 I ended up deciding I preferred 3 years, but it doesn't really matter. There's no need to add anything because the PCs will all be wizard students, meaning there's nothing for them to compare progression against anyone except themselves. Wizards are studious. The only reason they have a level progression rate in line with a fighter is for gameplay purposes. Really, a fighter's career trajectory should model a pro athlete: quick rise, rapid fall. A wizard's career should model an academic's: in school from age 3 to 33 (average age of PhD grad) with little tangible gain, then a gradual accumulation of power that doesn't stop until you decide to retire (most continue working past 70). In a game with both character types, you have to compromise, but in a wizards only game, you don't.

But, also relevant to the discussion between @Yaarel and @Salthorae, the exact number of years was just a theoretical discussion for funsies. In my own notes, all the coursework is in "units" (this changes the math slightly from what I've shown so far because I wanted everything to be whole numbers of units). Note: course units represent the time investment required of an appropriately-leveled wizard; they are not of uniform difficulty (freshmen can't take MS-723) -also note that aside from level 1, this is just the adventuring days required to reach each level, which feels too fast to me, so I just called them units.

Wizard Level1234567891011121314151617181920
units to reach (delta)121122335455566657567
units to reach (total)1213141618212429333843485460667178838996

So depending on the magicalness of your game, a unit could be a day, a month, a year. Just pick what works for you.
-At one unit per month, level 1 takes 1 year and level 20 takes a total of 8.
-At one unit per semester, level 1 takes 6 years and level 20 takes 48. In Harry Potter, students start at age 11. So saying they graduate at level 3 (7 years later) and don't max out in power until they're about 60... that works for me.
-There are settings where 1 year per unit would be appropriate, in which legendary wizards are all over 100.

As to the first level taking the longest, the "wizard" threshold is a good way up the learning curve. Two level 1 spell slots is infinitely more magic than a commoner can do. Going from commoner to Level 1 wizard means learning two dozen completely new game features (a drastic oversimplification, but all we can work with). Then, improvement from there is comparatively easy. At level 2, you only add one new game feature and improve on two others that you already knew.

@digitalelf thanks for pointing that out, I'm having a look now. Haha, there's even a "shirking chores" table! I love it XD

@Salthorae thanks for the encouragement, but I feel like playing Level 0 wizards is a pretty niche audience. I do have pages and pages of this stuff though, magical theory and calculations that are completely dry and of no interest to anyone. I even wrote a three-page Collection Development Policy for the Academy Archives, complete with a section that has guidelines for dealing with patrons who who challenge material in the collection. I'm pretty sure this is some sort of condition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases