D&D (2024) Could Arcane Recovery be the link between Mage.

mellored

Legend
D&D kinda give psionics its own set of magic different from Arcane.
Exactly.
Psionics is different.
Arcane spell slot caster is the same.
Sure until you start casting spells.
Then your lack of versatility will shines.
Pretty sure you won't see someone casting fireball twice per day and think "that's obviously a sorcerer not a wizard".

Also, an aberrant mind sorcerer will know more spells than a wizard. And everyone is getting rituals. And they have the exact same number of slots at the same levels.

So I'm not sure what versatility your really talking about.
Anyway the sorcerer isn't disappearing from D&D in this or future editions.
Well probably not from this one.
But hopefully future ones.

Or have the sorcerer use spell points instead of slots or something that is actually different.

Anyways. I'm still good for wizards having a little more short rest abilities, and a bit less daily.

I still don't understand why sorcerer exsist. Especially since they now use the exact same spell list.

Just pick Int or Cha at level 1.

The add some meta magic options, such as evoker can use careful metamagic with spending points. Ect..

Otherwise, I think forcing them to spread their spells out over a day a bit more wouldn't be a bad thing.
Not just sorcerer at this point. Bard too. And if warlock loses pact magic throw it into the pile. Why do we need three/four full casters using identical spell lists, with just slightly different levelling progression features. Isn't that literally what a subclass is?

But for some reason a support martial and an arcane half caster are not unique enough to be their own classes?

Imo there needs to be a 4th magic source (pathfinder calls it occult) for Bards. They should not just be a wizard with a guitar.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Exactly.
Psionics is different.
Arcane spell slot caster is the same.
I mean different effects.

Arcane and Psionics have different effects. Some sorts of sorcerer magic like thunder magic, fate magic,, dragon, alignment, and wild magic don't mage sense as Psionics.

D&D's Arcane mage has that link to being a list of various disconnected phenomena under 9 schools. Whereas D&D Psionics is more limited and linked harder to their 5-6 disciplines

I still don't understand why sorcerer exsist. Especially since they now use the exact same spell list.

The add some meta magic options, such as evoker can use careful metamagic with spending points. Ect..

Otherwise, I think forcing them to spread their spells out over a day a bit more wouldn't be a bad thing.

We don't know what will seperate them in 2 or 3 month..

Fair.

And actually, if they just improved the slot <-> point conversation, they could effectively be a spell point caster. And that would be different.

Probably still want to recover some points on a short rest recovery too.

Or just make them spell point casters to begin with. And then add the conversion rate to the multiclass rules.

They haven't released the Sorcerer so we won't know until they do, but I suspect they will still have sorcery points. Sorcerer's might be spell school restricted like no Necromancy spells, but with subclass spell lists.

I think Warlocks will retain Pact Magic, but it'll be adjusted.

I mean, if we'd actually got the sorcerer from the original 5e playtest, it would certainly have a reason to exist. That class is completely unique compared to every single class and subclass available in 5e today.

JohnSnow

Hero
Sorcerers exist because some people hate Vancian magic. But WotC doesn’t have the balls to reinvent it. So they keep trying to cobble together some kind of half-assed fix to let spellcasters be less than useless when they run out of spells.

My two cents? Give sorcerers cantrips (possibly with a spellcasting check?) that they can use metamagic to improve as they advance in level, and make wizards do the resource management.

Then they’d actually be different.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases