Critical Role Could Critical Role launch their own RPG?

Matchstick

Adventurer
IIRC Undeadwood was very popular, there was even talk of a sequel, and that was Savage Worlds. They did a Savage Worlds charity stream too at some point. I'd love to see the CR crew do Deadlands or 50 Fathoms, or Deadlands Noir.

Taliesin's Call of Cthulhu game was popular as well.

Reynard

Legend
IIRC Undeadwood was very popular, there was even talk of a sequel, and that was Savage Worlds. They did a Savage Worlds charity stream too at some point. I'd love to see the CR crew do Deadlands or 50 Fathoms, or Deadlands Noir.

Being a fan of and even freelancer for Savage Worlds, I really wanted to like Undeadwood but I did not like the GM.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Look at the view count of Undeadwood. It starts strong then falls off a cliff. Matt said in an earlier Deadlands stream that it’s one of his favorite settings. Kinda surprising they haven’t done more than a few episodes.

Taliesin’s Call of Cthulhu one-shot is what convinced me to give the main show a chance. It hooked me good.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Being a fan of and even freelancer for Savage Worlds, I really wanted to like Undeadwood but I did not like the GM.
Same, but I'm not a freelancer. The GM did good NPC's but he didn't know the system well at all. They were still making basic "what do I roll" kinds of mistakes in the last episode. I also felt that Undeadwood downplayed the system (SW) instead of promoting it.

@overgeeked I probably saw that earlier stream but didn't remember Matt saying that. I firmly believe that Deadlands or Noir would be a killer campaign for them.

Clint_L

Hero
But we also know their numbers go down when they play one/two shots in other systems.
True, but this is a causation/correlation question. I think the most likely cause is that those games are not part of the main campaign and frequently involve guests, often mostly guests, so folks who are invested in the main Critical Role campaign story don't feel the need to watch every one-shot or limited campaign.

To support my thesis, I point out that we see the numbers for non-campaign games go down both when those games use D&D, and when they do not.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
True, but this is a causation/correlation question. I think the most likely cause is that those games are not part of the main campaign and frequently involve guests, often mostly guests, so folks who are invested in the main Critical Role campaign story don't feel the need to watch every one-shot or limited campaign.

To support my thesis, I point out that we see the numbers for non-campaign games go down both when those games use D&D, and when they do not.
I'd have to look at the numbers, but the Aabria campaign in D&D compared to other short non-D&D would be a way to test this

Remove ads